Introducing new hen to flock...

My Lay D's

In the Brooder
8 Years
Dec 14, 2011
I currently have a flock of 3 girls...A Partridge Silkie, Buff Cochin and a Barred Rock. I recently purchased 2 Delaware hens from the same location I got my original 3 from. These chickens actually used to roam around together and lived in the same coop at one time. So I figured it would be easy...wrong. Long story short I only have 1 Delaware remaining...so I put her in a dog crate in the hen enclosure. I left her in there for a few days while the others could hear her, talk to her etc. I let her out of the first time today while I was supervising. She seems to be bullying my 3 original hens. She goes into the coop no problem however no one else will go in with her. She is much larger than the other chickens...are they afraid of her? Is she trying to establish dominance over them? I even tried to pick them up and place them in the coop with her and everyone hit the exit running. Its very sad...I feel as though I have upset my original girls. Will things get better? Will they eventually accept the new Delaware into the group??? Or should she go back to where she came from and I get younger hens? HELP!!!

Im wondering how things are going now. I am thinking of bringing one or two more home with me next week when I pick up the new bigger coop. I am very interested. I have three hens now about 13 weeks old and I would get them from the same place I got the original 3. I have only had them 3 weeks. Chicken math has really hit me hard.

Back
Top Bottom