introducing new hen

bambi

Songster
12 Years
Apr 7, 2010
Mo.
Yea!!! I will finally get the barnevelder heritage hen that I have been wanting from a friend. This has been on and off decission of hers but she has finally decided to get rid of her flock. I am just 9mths into raising chickens so this tells you I know very little but learning. I have 1 hen house/coop. so how is the best way to introduce her to them. My 5 hens freerange in a secure (if there really is a true secure)area. Should I slip her in when they have gone to sleep or do I let her out during the day when she can free range with the rest. I will be putting her in quarrentine for 30 days in the garage at night and seperate area during the day. I am thinking that she is about 12-14mths old.

I know there has to be someone that has experience in this area. I did google to find more on this issue and what I did find from previous post was inot a good idea to introduce single bird and they should be of same or close to same age. This pullet is only 12-14wks old. Has anyone ever tried to introduce this young of chicken to older flock? Thank you for any and all advice

Back
Top Bottom