Introducing new hen

onebuggirl

Songster
11 Years
Aug 27, 2008
So I have 3 barred rock hens: Henny Penny, Rosie, & Cluckey and I wanted a 4th chicken to help keep the coop warm this winter so I got a Red sexlink and her name is Henrietta. What is the best way to introduce her to her new coop mates and how long will it take for the new pecking order to be in line?

First of all, did you quarantine her? That would be first, the 30-45 day quarantine, to be reasonably sure she doesn't have any diseases she will pass on to your others. Then the very best way would be to pen her where they could see her, but not get to her, for a week or two. THEN, you just need to put her in and step back, LOL. There will be pecking and chasing, no matter what you do to prepare them. Could resolve in a day or two or take a week or two for them to get used to each other.

Can you quarantine one hen alone for that long? Wouldn't she get so lonely?

We have 12 hens (2 are bantys) and 1 big roo. Lot's of space. A friend here on the island had two bantys and a dog killed the roo. She's asked if we could take the little banty hen.

For quarantine, what are we looking for? They kept them as pets-only the two.

I can't decide what to do???

Would we get her a little eglu-type coop and put it in the run and then when the time came put her on the roost at night??

Help?

Thanks so much!

Lisa

Back
Top Bottom