Introducing new hens to a lone hen ... how to do so safely?

jjb1953

Songster
7 Years
May 6, 2013
Hi all.
My flock had dwindled down to 2.
Sadly one of the two was taken by a predator yesterday.

I have read hens do better off with others. My hen is very docile. I am planning on going to look at some hens tonight.
Is there a good way to introduce the new hen? Should I only stick with getting just one new hen or is two or three ok?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

J

The advice I have read is not to introduce a lone hen into a flock, if you can help it. I don't think that applies to you in this situation because your flock IS the lone hen. It's definitely fine to introduce her to another hen, but if you're going add multiples it may be an easier integration if all of the hens are new to one another.

However, I introduced a new hen into my flock of 20+ the other day and there was only one minor scuffle, and that was that. I distracted the flock with fresh veggies and scratch. I put then new hen into the coop and let her join the rest in the run at her leisure. She went right out and started eating with the rest of them. No one even noticed she was new for about 10 minutes! She laid an egg the next day, so she doesn't seem stressed.

Good luck! And I'm sorry about your lost hens.

Back
Top Bottom