Introducing new hens to existing flock

Nice coop your have done a good job
Thank you!
20200124_140909.jpg
So i threw this together just now. Its not 100% done but all thats really left is adding the feeder/waterer, putting the roost back up and closing the right side. The door on the back wall opens from the other side so it's easy for me to access. They have enough room to sit on the roost, and the wooden box on the left side is a nesting box that no one uses. I'm pretty pleased with this set up. We can also keep it up so it's available for baby chicks if/when that ever happens. Picking up our new girls tomorrow!

Thank you!
View attachment 2010154
So i threw this together just now. Its not 100% done but all thats really left is adding the feeder/waterer, putting the roost back up and closing the right side. The door on the back wall opens from the other side so it's easy for me to access. They have enough room to sit on the roost, and the wooden box on the left side is a nesting box that no one uses. I'm pretty pleased with this set up. We can also keep it up so it's available for baby chicks if/when that ever happens. Picking up our new girls tomorrow!

Might want to invest in Hardware Cloth best price seems to be on Amazon there is cheaper one place reviews are saying it is not very solid welds .. Would be a good idea to leave it as a nest box getting new birds may use it as a brooder

Might want to invest in Hardware Cloth best price seems to be on Amazon there is cheaper one place reviews are saying it is not very solid welds .. Would be a good idea to leave it as a nest box getting new birds may use it as a brooder
It's hard to see, but I attached the remaining chicken wire I had above the baby gate and up to the back wall so it's completely enclosed, with the nesting box inside that area. So I'm hoping the new girls will lay their eggs in that one even after they're allowed out.

This is inside the coop for confining new birds.
The new girls are here and boy does "Hal" hate being confined! She escaped twice within the first hour and once i found and blocked the tiny gap she used, she continues searching for a way out. Our OGs are in for the night now and just saw the new arrivals. No one actually seems to care except for our little roo, Looster (Lucy the rooster haha). He is non stop predator calling and I'm not sure if this is a normal reaction? Im going to be running to the store shortly to get some additional security material just so i can sleep tonight and not worry about anyone getting out. I wasn't expecting anyone to try this hard to escape!
20200125_133428.jpg

He is non stop predator calling and I'm not sure if this is a normal reaction?
Yep, normal....There's an intruder!
The new bird will be agitated at first too, by the new place and those other birds yelling at them. Make sure the barriers are sturdy in case they try to fight thru them.

Looster :lol: that's a good one!

Yep, normal....There's an intruder!
The new bird will be agitated at first too, by the new place and those other birds yelling at them. Make sure the barriers are sturdy in case they try to fight thru them.

Looster :lol: that's a good one!
I went and reinforced the chicken wire by tying additional, stronger wire knots all the way around and then I blocked the sides with pretty heavy wood. Hopefully this holds! Hal is a strong willed gal and can jump a few feet in the air with very little effort. It's pretty nuts lol. The other three seem pretty chill and laid back though, thank goodness. Everyone seems to be sleeping finally so I think the intensity is over, for now at least.

Back
Top Bottom