Introducing new hens to the home team???

CrazyChickenMomma

Hatching
9 Years
Mar 31, 2010
I've had 6 chickens for 2 years and they are well adjusted and happy. (Hey...I'm a therapist... this stuff is important to me!)
Today, one of my teenagers brought home two hens that needed a new home. I put them in the coop and locked the others out (they free-range during the day)
The home team is squawking and carrying on something fierce!
Any suggestions? Is this going to work?
Or does my son need to get busy and build another coop?

First of all, you need to quarantine the new birds for 30 days. They can't share the same food, water, run or coop. After that, you can slowly start to introduce them. Make sure you check them over for mites/lice. You may even want to worm them.

What I have found works after quarentine, is to put the new hens in at night while the others are already roosting, for some reason when they wake up, it's like they have been there all along. This has worked everytime for me, good luck!
thumbsup.gif

HA! That whole "put them in at night, and the next day they will be fine" is not always true(mind you it does work for some people)!! I just did that last night, this morning all hell broke loose. My current flock, were growling, and chased the newbies off the roost. They also kept them cornered in the coop. The newbies hid in the nesting boxes, and pooped in them! not cool! I have separated them now, but am keeping them in a tractor right next to the main coop, so they can see but not touch. I'm not dissing the idea, but I am suggesting that you keep them separated at first, either in a dog crate inside of the coop, or, like me, in a tractor/cage next to the main coop. Good Luck!

When you do introduce them make sure there are several places to eat, drink, and hide. They will take a while to work out a new pecking order. The good thing is you are introducing two new girls not just one so they will have a buddy to hang out with during the adjustment.

Back
Top Bottom