Introducing new peahen to flock??

Peanut59

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 7, 2012
My SIL's peahen was the lone survivor of her flock of 4 adults due to neighbor's dogs attacking them over the weekend. How she survived without injury is miraculous. My SIL wanted her to come live with mine to be safe. Needless to say, I was happy to give her a home with mine.

Well, the poor traumatized girl was picked on by my 2 adult hens and peacock.:( The next day, when I saw them cornering her, and the back of her neck was bloody, I moved her to an adjacent pen. She is safe and can get to know her peers better. I feel so guilty for mine doing that to her.

How long should I wait before I can put her with them again? Is there anything else I can do to help the transition?

when i introduced red golden pheasants to my peafowl cage the same thing happened to the pheasants but it stopped after a week or so. i assume it would be the same for your peahen it just takes some time for the other birds to get used to each other.

My SIL's peahen was the lone survivor of her flock of 4 adults due to neighbor's dogs attacking them over the weekend. How she survived without injury is miraculous. My SIL wanted her to come live with mine to be safe. Needless to say, I was happy to give her a home with mine.

Well, the poor traumatized girl was picked on by my 2 adult hens and peacock.
sad.png
The next day, when I saw them cornering her, and the back of her neck was bloody, I moved her to an adjacent pen. She is safe and can get to know her peers better. I feel so guilty for mine doing that to her.

How long should I wait before I can put her with them again? Is there anything else I can do to help the transition?

They are viewing her as an intruder into their territory. Give it a week or 2 and then instead of moving her in with them, move 1 of your hens in with her, wait another week or 2 and move the Peacock in with them, then wait again and move the final hen in with them. They will feel like they are in a new place and will not be as quick to defend it as their's. Also moving 1 at a time will give them a chance to work out pecking order slowly as opposed to everyone ganging up on the new kid. Sorry to hear about your SIL's other Peas.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom