introducing new peeps to an existing flock

voxcox

Hatching
11 Years
Apr 27, 2008
can you introduce peeps to an existing adult group of partial free range Rhode Island Reds...all hens?

Last edited:
Not if the chicks are small. The hens will kill them. Wait until they are bigger. The will still bully them, but at least they will be able to get away.

Something we have done is arrange some chicken wire inside the coop so that the littler ones can get in and out, but the hens. Even then you have to be a little wary, we have had a hen get in there are peck out 9 week olds to the point of a little blood.

It helps if you are putting in several at a time, that way you will not have one that gets picked on too bad. They should be old enough that they are feathered out but still way smaller than the old birds. That way the oldies have trouble running them down. IMHO.

We add our chicks to the main flock between 6 and 8 weeks. The big birds
do pick on them for a few days but eventually stop. Just don't watch.

Quote:
It also helps if you can put them in a wire cage with the top covered of course so they don’t get pooped on and keep them with the adults so the adults can see them but not touch them for a couple of weeks so that when you do put them together there will be a lot less fighting.

Quote:
It also helps if you can put them in a wire cage with the top covered of course so they don’t get pooped on and keep them with the adults so the adults can see them but not touch them for a couple of weeks so that when you do put them together there will be a lot less fighting.

You're right. We tried that. It helped a bit as did giving them a spot to hide where
the big ones couldn't get at them.

Our laying flock is used to having new birds brought in so they have become very gentle.
Well, we do have one EE who is a meany.

If this is your first time putting new chicks in with the grownups than Betty's way is
better. Just have patience. Even when they do enter the flock there will be
pecking order fights.

wow thanks everyone:D

Didnt expect so much activity my first post!

Last edited:
I put mine in a cage inside the coup for over a month so that they would get used to each other. That was last year, they still get picked on.

Back
Top Bottom