Introducing new "retired" laying hens from a mass-production egg farm

Gave mama Maude a bath today and she’s been super friendly. I haven’t had her for long. Im unsure of her age, she also hasn’t laid since I received her. Should I assume she is done laying? Or should I be worried? I just don’t want to miss anything, I know they can become egg bound if they are stressed.
It's hard to tell the age of a hen. Chickens only lay so many eggs in their lifetime, birds that lay every day will run out earlier than those that lay a few times a week. As long as she isn't showing any signs of illness and is eating/drinking well, she should be ok. She's a pretty girl! ❤️

It's hard to tell the age of a hen. Chickens only lay so many eggs in their lifetime, birds that lay every day will run out earlier than those that lay a few times a week. As long as she isn't showing any signs of illness and is eating/drinking well, she should be ok. She's a pretty girl! ❤️
So apparently she is 14months. Her vent was pulsing after the bath I gave her. She hasn’t really been running around like a normal chicken. But I just chalked that up to her not being normal. But she has been sleeping a lot I haven’t seen her drink water but she eats just fine and she walks really slow unless something spooks her.

So apparently she is 14months. Her vent was pulsing after the bath I gave her. She hasn’t really been running around like a normal chicken. But I just chalked that up to her not being normal. But she has been sleeping a lot I haven’t seen her drink water but she eats just fine and she walks really slow unless something spooks her.
Sounds like something is going on with her. Was she a caged producer or a free range in this barn producer when you rescued her?

Sounds like something is going on with her. Was she a caged producer or a free range in this barn producer when you rescued her?
Im guessing caged. I’m not too sure. Only reason I say caged is because she was looking at the grass like it was foreign. When I put her down on it she was walking slow cocking her head back and forth at it then after 10 mins or so she tried it. But you could tell she was confused. I have been giving her corid since I got her. I’ve given her two baths just to make sure she doesn’t have mites. I haven’t seen any but I bathed her anyway and oiled up her legs and paws. She is begging to warm up to me but still seems lethargic and I don’t want to lose her she so sweet already

Ok I got you confused with the original poster of this thread. Let me send you a private conversation so we don't hijack this thread. :)

Unfortunately, "free range" doesn't mean anything. The USDA doesn't say how often or how long they are outside. Many of these mass producers open the doors for 1/2 hour a day and then put big fans by the doors so the chickens cannot go out. And "cage free", only means they are in cages, but they only have to give them the size of a piece of paper.

Back
Top Bottom