Introducing new roo to flock of hens and chicks

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by sunlitmoonlight, Sep 10, 2011.

1. sunlitmoonlight

sunlitmoonlight Out Of The Brooder

Dec 20, 2010
    Ireland
    Hi all
    Have 13x 12 week old chicks, 2 hens and another 2 hens sitting. All are bantams; chicks are silkie x pekins. I want to get a rooster so am looking for advice on what age roo I should get and how to introduce him to the flock. Am wanting to breed off him next summer. thanks

2. duckking

duckking Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    We inadvertently added 2 cockerels and 5 hens to our established, older 3 hens. (The cockerels' were supposed to be hens). We did it slowly...lot's of meet and greet time in a separate pen within the run. Once the young'uns were about 12-13 weeks, we let them run riot. The hen's are still at the top of the order, they will occasionally tolerate the roo's mounting them, but otherwise give them a what for and chase them down. Pecking order was re-established and one of the roo's is going (pain in the butt). The roo's were much bigger than the older hen's at 12-13 weeks. Worked for us, but the meet and greet is essential. I would also raise the roo from a chick so he really knows you well and realizes you are TOP roo right from the start.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by