Introducing new Roo to my flock

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Alex's Chickies, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Alex's Chickies

Alex's Chickies New Egg

Apr 9, 2011
    Molalla, Oregon
    Hello friend,
    Today, I got a new rooster to ad to my flock, he is a turken. When I put Turk in with my flock my little slikie rooster would not leave Turk alone, they kept fighting and fighting too the point where Turk caused my little slikie to bleed. So I quickly removed Turk from my flock and currently have him in a exercise pen away from the rest of the flock. All of my roosters including my silkie are this years roosters and were not raised together and have been introduced to each other over these past weeks, Turk was the last one to meet the flock. I expected a little fighting, but not this much. Turk is twice the size of my little silkie and I fear for his safety. I don't want to get rid or either one of these roosters as they are such sweet and social little guys, but they won't stop fighting. Anyone got any ideas on what is should do? Keep in mind that Benny was the first rooster this year and never had an issue when I introduced the other roosters, Coach, Sly, Tiny, Po, JP, Billy, Reggie or Serahe, all at separate times. So I'm not sure what his issue is with Turk. Let me know if anyone has any ideas, or if you think I should just find Turk a new home where he is the only rooster, Thanks in advance, Alex javascript:insert_text('[​IMG]',%20'');

2. Carols Clucks

Carols Clucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Sounds like you have a lot of roosters!

I think you might want to consider separate smaller coops for a rooster and a few hens.

3. triplepurpose

triplepurpose Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    Quote:X2 methinks...

How many chickens do you have in your flock?

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

It sounds to me like you've been very lucky in having been able to introduce all of those roosters without bloodshed (until now). Many people keep roosters in their own pens.

5. Game Bird Guy

Game Bird Guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Victoria
    How many hens do you have? I have 13 roosters from 5-27 months with 22 hens 7-16 months old. All of mine get along fine. Some birds in my past flock just don't like each other though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by