Introducing new Roos to a flock with a roo already there? Also do you mix tophats with regular hens?

ldutch123

Songster
8 Years
Nov 9, 2011
Illinois
I have some 14'week old easter eggers and 2 of them are Roos. Well I already had to separate one of the Roos because he wAs attacking his brother. So I have the less aggressive roo in seg with the 4 EE girls and they are in the coop with my 35 laying girls all mixed breeds and 1 tophat roo. He loves those girls. So I need advice....do I introduce the EE roo to my girls and floyd(tophat roo) ? Is it a bad idea to have more than one roo.? Floyd is kind of a wuss and the girls peck his head. I don't know if he will defend himself with a boy or not?

Any suggestions on this matter would be helpful. They free range about 3 acres and many places to hide and Floyd is a really good flyer.

Well, you have already discovered what the jealous biddies tend to do to crested birds. It happens quite frequently in mixed flocks. Give the integration a try. If it does not work, just get rid of the EE if the Polish is your favorite.

His age and maturity plus the psychological factor of being flock master does give him the initial advantage.

Ok good. I figured there will be 40 girls and 2 Roos I would hope they can get along. I kind of wanted some fertile eggs and I don't think Floyd actually fertilizes them because he isn't as big as those girls. He seems to struggle a bit :lol: do you have several roosters by chance and if so how did u integrate them?

With my last roosters the chicks were raised in a free range situation by broody hens and grew up respecting/fearing the flock masters. The pecking order being what it is, there would be periodic scuffles/wars as young birds tried to improve their position.

With your female to male ratio, the space you described, I'd put them together. Many roosters have gotten along in worse situations. A well used phrase comes to mind. You don't know until you try.

Back
Top Bottom