Introducing New Rooster to Existing Flock

HipMystic

✨Orchids and Moonlight✨
Nov 12, 2020
Nowhere
A friend gave me this rooster yesterday, and I’m trying to figure out the best way to integrate him into my existing flock.
3 Pekin Ducks: 2 drakes, 1 hen (I’m trying to rehome all 3, so they will hopefully be gone soon)
6 Golden Comet- type hens (unsure of exact breed)
2 Barred Rocks hen
1 Amberlink hen
2 Polish hens
1 Silkie hen (nobody pays her any mind, they ignore her, but will a rooster also leave her be?)

I currently have him in a large dog crate in my coop so that everyone can see/hear but not actually touch each other (I know that their flock is clean and healthy, so I’m not worried about quarantining him from mine). I was thinking I’d keep him in the crate for about 3 days, and then introduce him onto the perches on the third night after dark. I let them out at dawn, so no one will be stuck in the coop together when they wake up.
Does this sound like a reasonable method of introduction? Is there anything else I should do first?
FFE2CBF3-496F-42C3-999F-25A1B3D94DBE.jpeg

A friend gave me this rooster yesterday, and I’m trying to figure out the best way to integrate him into my existing flock.
3 Pekin Ducks: 2 drakes, 1 hen (I’m trying to rehome all 3, so they will hopefully be gone soon)
2 Barred Rocks hen
1 Amberlink hen
2 Polish hens
1 Silkie hen (nobody pays her any mind, they ignore her, but will a rooster also leave her be?)

I currently have him in a large dog crate in my coop so that everyone can see/hear but not actually touch each other (I know that their flock is clean and healthy, so I’m not worried about quarantining him from mine). I was thinking I’d keep him in the crate for about 3 days, and then introduce him onto the perches on the third night after dark. I let them out at dawn, so no one will be stuck in the coop together when they wake up.
Does this sound like a reasonable method of introduction? Is there anything else I should do first?View attachment 3272694
Usually I think people have them in the see no touch scenario for a week before letting them out together, that gives them time to get used to each other

2 Barred Rocks hen
1 Amberlink hen
2 Polish hens

Does this sound like a reasonable method of introduction? Is there anything else I should do first?View attachment 3272694
That looks like a Rhode island red rooster. Be careful of aggression.

Was this cockerel raised together with crested breeds such as Silkies and Polish?
If not, he might not accept them into "his" flock and even attack them.

He looks quite young to me, 5-6 months old at best.

That looks like a Rhode island red rooster. Be careful of aggression.
I think we figured out that he is a RIR (I have a separate thread on that because he was in the wrong bin lol)
I’ll definitely be keeping a close eye on him, he was super docile at his last home, but they don’t keep any roosters at all. If he turns out to be aggressive they agreed to take him back and then they’ll process him.
Was this cockerel raised together with crested breeds such as Silkies and Polish?
If not, he might not accept them into "his" flock and even attack them.

He looks quite young to me, 5-6 months old at best.
I’m not sure on exact age, but he is from this spring. Worst comes to worst I can separate the Silkie and Polish; I actually just introduced them to this flock, they were separated before anyway 🙂

So far so good! I had him in the crate for about 4 days, and put him on the perches with the hens that night.
Everyone is getting along really well 😊 He completely ignores the Silkie and Polish, I don’t think he even realizes they’re chickens 🤣
D8FB2B31-3E74-460D-8289-19A4ED4D9F65.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom