Introducing new rooster to existing free range flock. HELP!

saraiquimby1

Songster
5 Years
Jul 26, 2014
Indiana
I have about 20 1-2 year old hens that free range on my farm. They have a coop they go in at night, but during the day they all are out and about on our farm.

I am picking up a grown rooster on Saturday and I am not sure how to go about introducing him to my flock. I know where he is coming from, so quarantine is not an issue.
Can I just let him loose and he will stick with the hens? Will he understand to go in the coop at night with them? I've never introduced a new rooster before, and I'm not sure how to go about it.

Any advice is appreciated.

Hopefully some are laying at six months. If so, I’d turn him loose with them. But if you wish to be really sure, house him in the coop a few days. Two or three days should be plenty but a week is about as surefire as you can get.

If some of the pullets are laying he should immediately mate with a few and claim the flock as his own. If none are laying keeping him locked up until some start is probably a good idea. Most mature roosters don’t bother pullets until they are about to lay but occasionally some will. At one year he is probably mature enough.

I agree, there may be a few scuffles, but he will triumph, and they will be in love by morning! It will change the dynamics of the flock. The hens will look to him, instead of you.

A year old rooster is about the best age to start with, he will be quickly picking up his duties and should morph into a flock master rather quickly.

For adding a single bird, adding a lone rooster to an all hen flock is the easiest!

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom