Introducing new unfamiliar chickens

Alydup

Songster
Aug 20, 2018
Hi,
I am introducing two new hens into my existing flock of 3. The two new ones are from the same farm but unfamiliar with each other. The lady said they are both new and stressed so I can put them together while they quarantine and get introduced (in separate pens) to my old gals. One is an Orpington and the other is a little olive egger and they are quite different in size. I had them where they can see each other but separate kennels but now wondering if they should go in together...Any thoughts?

A pair of birds will be an easier introduction than two single birds. However, a lot more depends on your space and how you use that space and the age of the birds.

Do make sure you have a lot of clutter, hideouts, things to get behind or under or on top of, multiple feed stations set up so that if eating at one, they are totally out of sight of other birds at a different feed station. I rearrange the furniture so to speak right before I add new birds. kind of discombobulates everyone.

If they came from the same place that you got your original flock, and if they or you do not do swaps, or auctions, I would think there would not be a great concern with quarantine. But do what you are comfortable with.

MRs K

I was more concerned with the two new ones going in together right away than them being introduced to my flock. I have introduced pullets and a single hen in the past without any real issue from two of my three, and the other (One of last years pullets) is smallest and not overly dominant.
I didn’t feel concerned about quarantine either but she said she always recommends it even though she never takes in new chickens from outside her farm.

I was more concerned with the two new ones going in together right away than them being introduced to my flock.
All you can do is try, might work since they are both in a new place.
But have a separate but adjacent enclosures for them if they don't get along.

Back
Top Bottom