introducing old and new chickens

MyISAbrownhens

Songster
6 Years
May 23, 2017
Virginia
I currently only have 4 older hens, but am going to greatly enlarge my flock this summer. I’m thinking of buying 11-15 new chickens, including a barred rock rooster. I’m keeping the babies in a new coop until they are big enough. However my old coop is about to fall down, and I want to introduce my old hens to the new coop and large number of new chickens. I’m not sure how to do this, I know that such a large number of young chickens can cause stress to older hens. What advice do you have on this process? Thanks so much!

I’m thinking of buying 11-15 new chickens, including a barred rock rooster. I’m keeping the babies in a new coop until they are big enough.
So are these "babes" the "11-15 new chickens"...
.....and already living in the new coop?
Is this new coop large enough to hold all the 14-19 chickens?
How big is the new coop, in feet by feet?
Does it have a run attached?
Dimensions and pics would help immensely here.

So are these "babes" the "11-15 new chickens"...
.....and already living in the new coop?
Is this new coop large enough to hold all the 14-19 chickens?
How big is the new coop, in feet by feet?
Does it have a run attached?
Dimensions and pics would help immensely here.
We haven’t started building the new coop yet. But it’s a large 6 * 6 shed and a 8* 5 run so there is enough room for everyone. The babies will live in the new coop until they are big enough, and then I want to introduce my old hens into the new coop

We haven’t started building the new coop yet. But it’s a large 6 * 6 shed and a 8* 5 run so there is enough room for everyone. The babies will live in the new coop until they are big enough, and then I want to introduce my old hens into the new coop
That way they can all hopefully live in the new, and larger coop

Is there anyway to switch it around with the living arrangements ? Such as, get the new coop started and add the older hens first? This way allowing them to be acclimated and have their order in check. And keep the new brood until big enough in the old shed and than introduce them to the older girls? I think it might be less stressful and allow for the older girls to show them how to behave in the chicken order.

That's pretty tight quarters for that many birds.

Is there anyway to switch it around with the living arrangements ? Such as, get the new coop started and add the older hens first? This way allowing them to be acclimated and have their order in check. And keep the new brood until big enough in the old shed and than introduce them to the older girls? I think it might be less stressful and allow for the older girls to show them how to behave in the chicken order.
Ok yeah I can try that! Thanks so much

I suppose the new coop is big enough if you don’t live in a cold climate. But to avoid stress it is important to create lots of personal space (roosts) and a bigger run. The chickens need much room to get away and hide from each other. Especially as long as the pecking order is not established. Another options is to let the chickens free range during the day if you’re environment is quite safe.

Is it possible to keep the old coop and integrate it with the new coop/run?. Let the chickens decide where they like to sleep for the time being? Eventually they will stick together.

I suppose the new coop is big enough if you don’t live in a cold climate. But to avoid stress it is important to create lots of personal space (roosts) and a bigger run. The chickens need much room to get away and hide from each other. Especially as long as the pecking order is not established. Another options is to let the chickens free range during the day if you’re environment is quite safe.

Is it possible to keep the old coop and integrate it with the new coop/run?. Let the chickens decide where they like to sleep for the time being? Eventually they will stick together.
No I don’t think so, my old coop is about to fall down I’m just trying to make it last lol. And yes I’m planning on free ranging them all during the day. Really it’s just the simple case of mushing together 11-15 new chickens with 4 old hens. Maybe I can just introduce them a bit through the run, and then introduce the new girls in at night?

Really it’s just the simple case of mushing together 11-15 new chickens with 4 old hens. Maybe I can just introduce them a bit through the run, and then introduce the new girls in at night?
Really it's not that simple, it will likely be a bloody cluster tangle.
Like I said before....as much as you want to ignore it.
But it’s a large 6 * 6 shed and a 8* 5 run so there is enough room for everyone.
That's pretty tight quarters for that many birds.
That size coop and run is fine for 4 birds,
but adding 11-15 more is going to be ugly.

Back
Top Bottom