Introducing old hens and new hens to new coop?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JNorth, Mar 10, 2014.

1. JNorth

JNorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2012
    Western New York
    We are planning a complete coop overhaul. Our current coop houses 6 RSL's (2 years old). We have 12 chicks that we will eventually be introducing to the flock, BSL's and New Hampshires.

We will be building a new bigger coop from the ground up to house everyone. This will be new to both the resident hens and the newbies.

So my questions are these....

What kind of introduction timeline should I use?
    Should I introduce everyone to the new coop at the same time, with the idea that the older hens will be just as out of place as the newbies and potentially less likely to terrorize them?
    Or should I introduce the newbies to the new coop first, let them settle and then introduce the old hens?

Just for tha sake of providing lots of information.....The run space will remain the same, with approximately 4000 square feet. Coop will have 36 square feet of floor space. Nesting boxes will be about 2 feet off the ground at the far end of the coop with the roosts being at different heights above that. The total coop dimensions will be 6x6x6 with a pitched roof 9ft at the peak.

(Not sure if this belongs here or in the coop category...kind of a mixed bag!)

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  2. sandesnow

sandesnow Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2013
    Nova Scotia Canada
    I am in the same situation, so am very curious to these questions. I have 2 older hens (Well, they are a year old now) and will be introducing 3 new pullets (17 weeks) into a new environment. I am excited but don't want to rush things and have someone get injured. Our two girls have always been pretty mellow, but.. you never know how things are going to go.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by