Introducing older chicks to eachother?

Jitterbuggin

Chirping
Mar 25, 2021
I’ve got 5 chicks ranging from about 6-8 weeks old.

Today, I’m picking up two new 6 week olds.

Will it be difficult to introduce them at this age? How should I go about it? One of my 8 week olds definitely is top chicken (think there’s a good possibility it is a roo). The others are pretty laid back.

pictures of my newbies because I’m so excited to go pick them up 😍😍 Ayam Cemani turken and an ayam cemani (full or mixed with a blue layer - we will see 😁)

Attachments

• 933CD3EE-B9B9-4017-9871-949C5157F2C7.jpeg
    933CD3EE-B9B9-4017-9871-949C5157F2C7.jpeg
    239.7 KB · Views: 11
  • F242F252-0522-4EDD-AF1E-EBA4D1BDCD7F.jpeg
    F242F252-0522-4EDD-AF1E-EBA4D1BDCD7F.jpeg
    178.9 KB · Views: 8
They're just at the age where they may still accept newcomers with little issue, so if you have time to supervise for an hour or two, you could try tossing them all together.

Downside is that means you're open to biosecurity risk from the newly obtained birds, but if you weren't planning to do a proper medical quarantine then it won't make a difference anyhow.

Personally I would try to integrate them and accept the risk, but that's up to you.

I had two 1 week old chicks and two 4 week old chicks and put them together in their brooder and it worked out fine. Of course, after, one of the litle ones went up to the older one and gave it a peck to show who was boss.

Last edited:
That would not be an issue at this age. What might be an issue is that you are bringing foreign animals into your current flock with no quarantine. Every flock has it's own germs and viruses that they can cope with ... new chickens will bring their own. They can bring diseases with them or get sick from your animals. Especially because a move is always a stressy situation.

I was kind of planning on playing the quarantine by ear... but after picking up the new chicks today, I’m DEFINITELY hardcore quarantining. I don’t know what is up with these chicks but I’m pretty worried about them :( they’re going to live inside for the time being. Hopefully I can get them healthy. We’ll see.

I was kind of planning on playing the quarantine by ear... but after picking up the new chicks today, I’m DEFINITELY hardcore quarantining. I don’t know what is up with these chicks but I’m pretty worried about them :( they’re going to live inside for the time being. Hopefully I can get them healthy. We’ll see.
Make sure to give this a good read, if you have not already done so: https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...nderestimated-part-of-raising-chickens.67097/ If there really is anything wrong with them you will want to follow these guidelines strictly as you can.

Back
Top Bottom