introducing older "regular size" chickens to bantams

RSchickens

Hatching
9 Years
Jun 23, 2010
We have regular sized chickens that are 10 weeks old and enjoying their coop and run. We also have 6 week old bantams. When and how do I introduce the bantams to the big chickens???

I purchased a large group of standards from Meyers Hatchery on March 1. In early April a trip through the TSC made me feel sorry for the ten or so bantams that were there. I raised them--the bantams with three RIR standards that I brought at the same time. eventually I introduced the whole bunch of later ones from TSC to the flock that i have in a tractor. At that time they all stayed in the tractor--ten standards, a month to six weeks older than the ten bantams and three others. At first the older ones hated one of the RIR and pecked it mecifullesly, the bantams were able to dodge out of the way, although at times they were chased. they did seem to hide in a nest box and in a corner too--but they could out manover the bigger ones. I tried giving mellons and treats to distract but the big ones were very aggressive to the new little ones. I did have to take the pecked one out and give it away....eventually I decided to free range--in part because I had too many for the 12x4 tractor area. This did the trick. There are two distinct flocks the little ones plus two RIR hens, and the big ones. But they all go to bed together and there in no longer any vicous attacking etc. They spend all day sperate, but on occasion I will see them share the shade of some bushes, and once in a while one of the lower hens of the big flock will hang out with the little ones. In the end of this long story, I can say that the novelty and thrill of getting to freerange helped them to get along and adjust. I have since had to lock them down for a few days and have not had any more problems--although the bantys are at the bottom of the pecking order. i suspect that if it were the other way around, (if the bantys were older-first) the bantys would rule.

I have a large mixed flock of standards and bantams and have never had any issues with them getting along. Mine never really seemed to care much. I just put them all out together. I've even added more bantams at a later date and they just go about their business. My big girls seem to know they are smaller and leave them alone.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom