Introducing ONE new bird

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by bantam lover 12, Jul 2, 2016.

1. bantam lover 12

bantam lover 12 New Egg

Jul 2, 2016
    hi, I'm new to the forum, so... HI!!I have 3 crossbreed bantams that are about 2 months old. one is definitely a cockerel. now I need to introduce 1 light Brahma that is a little larger than them. it's completely docile, and just subjects to them when we let her go near them, he (and sometimes 1 of the girls) will chase her around and take out the feathers around her neck. They all are completely fine with me, and even sleep on my lap. Do you think it will stop soon or have any ideas on what I should do?

2. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    Hi and [​IMG] I would suggest that you free range them together so that there are no concerns about space or territory. You can watch them, and whenever one of them starts being a bully, you just shake a soup can filled with rocks and pennies with duct tape over the top. They hate the noise, so if you do it consistently for a few minutes a day over a few days, you may see some improvement. Good luck! [​IMG]

3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! I would recomended the see but dont touch method of introducing your new bird. I've used this method with great success and find it a great way of birds getting to know each other but without any injuries being caused. Once they have been become aquainted over a few weeks adding them should go more smoothly. Here is a fabulous article all about the method ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/introducing-new-chickens-using-the-see-but-don-t-touch-method

Wishing you the very best of luck and enjoy BYC :frow

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Yorkshire coop has given you excellent advice- Welcome to Backyard chickens

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined the flock!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by