Introducing our new coop

Bhayes1

In the Brooder
Nov 23, 2020
First time chicken owners and our new coop for our 4 hens.

Attachments

• 956F7E0D-9C06-442C-BE64-585DE0919498.jpeg
    956F7E0D-9C06-442C-BE64-585DE0919498.jpeg
    682.9 KB · Views: 23
It looks nice and sturdy. At 16 square feet in the little coop it will only accommodate your 4 chickens. If you decide to expand your flock you will need a bigger coop.

1 of the 4 is a silkie. The 16 SF does not include the nesting boxes. Looks like most on here recommend 2 or 3 SF per bird so I think I’d be fine adding 1 or 2 more if we go that route.

1 of the 4 is a silkie. The 16 SF does not include the nesting boxes. Looks like most on here recommend 2 or 3 SF per bird so I think I’d be fine adding 1 or 2 more if we go that route.
It depends on your location. In areas that get cold winters your chickens will spend more time inside the coop. The birds get a little rowdy when they are squeezed in. Crowding leads to unwanted behaviors like feather plucking and fighting.

It depends on your location. In areas that get cold winters your chickens will spend more time inside the coop. The birds get a little rowdy when they are squeezed in. Crowding leads to unwanted behaviors like feather plucking and fighting.

Im located in central California. If anything like that happens, we will thin the flock with a nice chicken dinner.

Back
Top Bottom