Introducing problem

Jul 22, 2017
So I need some advice from the experts. I have 3- 3 month old polish chickens I would like to put with my main flock. However, I don't know if they will pick on them. I have introduced chickens to my flock before, and they are very nice. They have always acted like they have always been there. However, these ones are much younger going off of my main flock is one year old. I would be introducing two females and one male to 15 hens and one rooster. My rooster would also need a new buddy to help him keep up with all the hens. :)

On a side note,
I am also having a problem with that same big barhama rooster in my main flock. He is not fertilizing or mating with the EEs,( or at least he barely does) but mating just fine with everyone else. I am hoping this young polish rooster once his hormones activate will help get the job done. If you know why this is happening, I would love to know.

Thank you!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup

As for introductions, go slowly and keep an eye on things but realize there will be an adjustment period until the pecking order is re-established. As for the neglected EEs, all I can say is my roos usually have their favorite hens and some they don't seem to care for. Go figure. The hens that my boss roo didn't care for eventually gravitated to the other 2 roos.

I am also having a problem with that same big barhama rooster in my main flock. He is not fertilizing or mating with the EEs,( or at least he barely does) but mating just fine with everyone else.
Do you now this because the EE eggs are not fertile when you check the yolks?
Or because you don't see Brahma mount the EE's?

Do you now this because the EE eggs are not fertile when you check the yolks?
Or because you don't see Brahma mount the EE's?
I know this from checking the yolks. :) I also know because when I incubated my chickens eggs all were fertile except two and they were both EE's :barnie Hoping that the new rooster will help XD

We introduced a Rhode Island and a Austrolorp when they were 3 months...the rest of my flock was fairly young too but they all grew up together. I had no idea that the young ones would pick on the two new arrivals. We introduced them in June and now that it is August they are finally accepting the RIR and Aust. In the beginning they would isolate the babies in the hen house until I got up and let them out. I felt terrible that they were pecked and picked on constantly. They are finally starting to snuggle during the day. It can be so stressful. We started putting them out during the day and bringing them back in but I had someone tell me that pulling them was making it worse because they had to start the pecking order process all over again. I would just make sure that you are keep an eye on them and make sure they are allowing the new ones to get food and water. We had multiple feed and water stations in the run just to be sure.

Thank you to everyone! We threw them in and the rooster lifted his wing for the younger ones to fit :D Our rooster is the sweetest thing I have no idea why lol... Anyways we will see tomorrow... Ill keep you guys updated if you would like! :)))))

Back
Top Bottom