Introducing Rescued Chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jeska180, May 21, 2012.

1. jeska180

jeska180 In the Brooder

Mar 13, 2012
    Ottawa, Ontario
    This is my first summer as a chicken lover, and I'm hooked! Started out with 10 meaties now I have taken 2 laying hens. Their previous home was a 1 foot by 1 foot cage with no hand on attention at all and they were there for a whole year. My chickens have an outdoor pen and spend most of the day running loose. I got the new hens yesterday, and I have them in an outdoor rabit cage beside the others but they are not loose yet.
    Just wondering how long I should keep them seperated?
    when you think I can let them free?
    how l would catch them if they wont return to the pen!

I hope they like it here!

2. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Congrats on the rescue!

It is generally recommended that birds be separated for three weeks to thirty days to rule out any illnesses. However, I am often guilty of putting birds in coops a little earlier if they seem healthy (Reasoning for 30 day quarantine is because some illnesses don't show any symptoms for a much longer time). If you did get them from the conditions you describe, you may want to keep them separated a little longer just in case. Sometimes close quarters is a breeding ground for bad things.

When you put them in your actual coop, I would try and keep the pen closed up for at least a couple of weeks. After that, chickens are pretty good about knowing where their home is. Also, I use treats like little pieces of bread or veggie/fruit scraps to get them to go inside. Handling the new birds a lot will also help them to stay calm if you do need to catch them in the yard. While many of my guys run, a few of the others just stand still when I walk over to them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: