Introducing rooster to my flock.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by linda0510, Oct 5, 2014.

1. linda0510

linda0510 New Egg

Sep 21, 2013
    Naples, FL
    I found a rooster pacing in the brush outside of our yard. I visited all the surrounding neighbors, and nobody claimed him. He is beautiful and appears healthy. I am able to handle him and he doesn't struggle when I pick him up. He is currently away from the others, living in my kid's batting cage with a playhouse for shelter. We have 28 hens that are about 18 months old. Can I introduce him to them safely? I'm hoping that I can find him a home, since I really have no desire to receive another 5:30am wake-up crow, but I'd like to be prepared in case he stays.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ThePRfan

ThePRfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2014
    Yes.The rooster can defend himself and likely mate a s soon as possible.Have anymore questions?But if you want to be safe introduce him threw fencing or at night.How big is he?

3. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Welcome to our forum!

I envy you -- I'm rooster-less right now and love to hear that crow in the morning. When I was working, I'd sleep right through it if I needed the sleep.

Actually you did well to separate him like that. You need to quarantine him afor at least a month, and check him carefully for lice and mites, and any other sign of illness, especially respiratory such as runny nose, sneezing, etc. Especially notice if there is a fowl odor about the face, a sign of coryza.

Here is a good article about introducing new birds, both about quarantine and about the process of mixing them:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/adding-to-your-flock

4. linda0510

linda0510 New Egg

Sep 21, 2013
    Naples, FL
    Thanks for the info!

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Judy had given great advise as usual....

Interesting looking roo...looks like a a very skinny welsummer with game bird blood.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by