Introducing rooster to my flock.

linda0510

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 21, 2013
Naples, FL
I found a rooster pacing in the brush outside of our yard. I visited all the surrounding neighbors, and nobody claimed him. He is beautiful and appears healthy. I am able to handle him and he doesn't struggle when I pick him up. He is currently away from the others, living in my kid's batting cage with a playhouse for shelter. We have 28 hens that are about 18 months old. Can I introduce him to them safely? I'm hoping that I can find him a home, since I really have no desire to receive another 5:30am wake-up crow, but I'd like to be prepared in case he stays.

I found a rooster pacing in the brush outside of our yard. I visited all the surrounding neighbors, and nobody claimed him. He is beautiful and appears healthy. I am able to handle him and he doesn't struggle when I pick him up. He is currently away from the others, living in my kid's batting cage with a playhouse for shelter. We have 28 hens that are about 18 months old. Can I introduce him to them safely? I'm hoping that I can find him a home, since I really have no desire to receive another 5:30am wake-up crow, but I'd like to be prepared in case he stays.

Yes.The rooster can defend himself and likely mate a s soon as possible.Have anymore questions?But if you want to be safe introduce him threw fencing or at night.How big is he?

Welcome to our forum!

I envy you -- I'm rooster-less right now and love to hear that crow in the morning. When I was working, I'd sleep right through it if I needed the sleep.

Actually you did well to separate him like that. You need to quarantine him afor at least a month, and check him carefully for lice and mites, and any other sign of illness, especially respiratory such as runny nose, sneezing, etc. Especially notice if there is a fowl odor about the face, a sign of coryza.

Here is a good article about introducing new birds, both about quarantine and about the process of mixing them:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/adding-to-your-flock

Judy had given great advise as usual....

Interesting looking roo...looks like a a very skinny welsummer with game bird blood.

Back
Top Bottom