Introducing Roosters

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lfoose, Dec 18, 2007.

1. lfoose

lfoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Medina, OH
    Hi,

After Christmas I'd like to introduce my two new standard sized roo's to my current flock which contain two bantam sized roo's.

Can anyone suggest a way to do this that will minimize damage/trauma?

Does size really matter among chickens?

thanks...

2. silky ma

silky ma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Introducing two large roos with a flock of two bantam roos is not something I would try.
    The bantams I fear will get the raw deal here.

If you try it be prepared for injuries from fighting!!![​IMG]

3. johnnyjack

johnnyjack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    usa
    fight fight somebody call 911

4. lfoose

Oct 1, 2007
    Medina, OH
    I had already introduced the roos by the time you all posted. Good news though.

I introduced the standards one at a time.

The smallest of the two standards was let out first and after about two minutes of fussing, he 'submitted' to my bantie roo. His name is Kitty.

The other standard was not willing to 'submitt' as quickly and the fighting got a bit rough. So I locked him up while I searched for another home. About a week later, my husband suggested I try to introduce him again and see what happens...since I had still not found him a home. Well, they went at it about 5 mins and that was it. No more fighting. His name is Big John.

So, my bantie roo, Carlo is still the man of house. I have a total of 4 roos now and really need to add some more hens to the coop.

5. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    Sounds like you have a plan! That's a very good reason to get more chickens, glad it worked out with the roos. [​IMG]

6. lfoose

Oct 1, 2007
    Medina, OH
    So am I. I didn't want to have to get rid of the new roo but at the same time, didn't want my head of the roost to get hurt.

7. FisherMOM

FisherMOM Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    I am curious if this continued working. I am in the same boat now.. except I need to introduce one bantam roo to 2 standard roos.

8. onecent

onecent Chillin' With My Peeps

i just introduced my 2 silkie roo's to my big standard RIR roo, i had no problems what so ever!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by