Introducing single baby to 1 yr old hens??

schonchalice

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 26, 2014
Hi, I have 2 hens that are about a year old. I got 2 baby Polish chicks to add to the little family but one died. The other is healthy and is being raised in a box in my room right now. I put a mirror in there so she doesn't feel lonely. I read that it is very difficult to add a single baby chick to older hens. Any suggestions or advise? Thanks :)

Hi, I have 2 hens that are about a year old. I got 2 baby Polish chicks to add to the little family but one died. The other is healthy and is being raised in a box in my room right now. I put a mirror in there so she doesn't feel lonely. I read that it is very difficult to add a single baby chick to older hens. Any suggestions or advise? Thanks :)

How old is the chick?

Well she's pretty young, about 5 weeks old so I know I can't do it yet. Not really sure how long I should wait but I know I've got to wait longer.

Thanks :) Yeah I've started doing that. I know I need to wait till it gets a lot bigger to introduce them. Do you think introducing them over a long period of time helps.

Introducing over a long time definitely helps. It gives them a chance to get used to each other and makes the chick less if a novelty when they are allowed to interact. The hens will be less interested and therefore less likely to hurt the chick in any way. She will have a much easier time assimilating into the flock. There will be some of the standard drama as she gets a bit older and tries to work her way up in the flock rankings, but that's about it.

Cool thanks. Yeah I'm obviously new to this chicken thing, lol. I love it so far :) Except my favorite chicken has turned into a mini feathered velociraptor, haha!!! But I love them :)

Back
Top Bottom