Introducing single chicken to flock!

She will stop trying to hide once the other birds accept her. It could take acouple days..maybe a week...i know its hard and you feel bad for her, but once she goes through all of it she will be much happyer. If she is being picked on, dont seperate her enless she is really getting injured.

Ok thanks! And she is the newest of them all. I don't know her age thought. But she is younger, around. 10 months to a year. Oh and she still doesn't lay eggs. I got her off an ad on Craigslist.

Alright, she should be fine then...reason i asked is because if she was much smaller than the rest of the flock, they could possibly kill her. But you dont have to worry about that because she full grown..just keep an eye on her. Make sure she is eatting and drinking and dosnt get injured and she'll be fine!
Ps you should post some pics of her!

Ok, tonight I have her in the lift cage in the coop theres a heat lamp food and water and its plenty big. Is she ok all by herself. She stays close to the cage door now watching the other chickens :(. But I'm just wondering if she ok ?

There are all five of my girls...

That is my coop...

This is my Silkie that i have been talking about. Meet Agnis!

She may never fit in like the others, mine grew up together and doesn't fit in, but she will still be happier not fitting in with them than on her own I'd imagine.

I'd also think night time is the best time to leave them together because the others will be more interested in sleep than bugging her.

Just a guess but night is the time when mine finally becomes one of the flock.

She is so cute! I agree with Appps aswell! I have 6 younger wyandottes that stick together durring the day but at night everyone sleeps together.

Thanks! I really need some help now! I put her in the main coop with the four others. and she is just soo scared. and she just hides behind the waterer and they pick on her soo bad. Im so afriad that she will die because she scardes, or something. Also, will she still eat and drink I did add an extra waterer and feeder. Will she eat and drink when she needs to? and also im afraid if she is warm enough I have two heat lamps in there close to the waterer were she hides. will she be ok please reply back!!

This is only what I have read but Ive seen it suggested that when adding someone new you can keep them seperate but add the least aggressive of the existing flock to them and leave them together where they can see the others etc but the others cant pick on the newbie. The one with them may peck a bit at them to make sure they know they are boss but it will be better than everyone at once and then when you put them all together they have one that has accepted them so its an easier transition than all against them at once. Again, only something Ive read, not tried myself.

If you are really worried its going to end badly and not just sort itself out in a week you could try that.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom