Introducing solo hen to small flock

Huntress33

In the Brooder
Feb 26, 2021
I recently was given a sweet, but shy hen to add to my small flock of 4. The single hen, Salt, has been residing in our dog kennel - a safe haven for her, while still providing ample opportunity for the chickens to check each other out. Since she has been here, I have been going out and giving treats to my current flock/Salt so that they are learning to all snack together. I have noticed that my hens congregate near the pen in the mornings. Throughout the day, I do find them checking in with her as well - and they chat with each other too. At first, my "lead" hen did some pecking through the kennel, but that has really mellowed out over the past week. It all seems to be going ok.

I don't know what my next step should be. I have just 4 hens that free range on an acre of land with trees and lots of nooks to hide, so space isn't an issue. The coop is smaller though. I am trying to determine what the best course of action should be:
1. Let Salt free range and see how that goes (she is definitely more athletic than my girls and should be able to get away)
2. Introduce just one of my birds to Salt in her space to give her a buddy when she meets the rest of the girls
3. Stick her in the coop at night and hope it goes well

The first two would mean that I can be more present should the situation go badly for any of the birds. The third seems to be what is suggested most often though. If you think #2 is the best scenario - how do you choose which bird to introduce?

A final factor - my dog thinks he is part of the flock and spends his days playing shepherd to my birds. He is very excited about the new chicken and is faithfully trying to earn her trust. He begs to be let out early in the morning to check on her and spends hours just laying in eyesight of her, staring longingly. He thinks he is going to have a new best friend. She, on the other hand, is terrified of him. I was told, as she was being dropped off, that she was attacked by their dog. I am definitely going to monitor those two as I move forward, but if you have any advice on this part, I would be grateful as well.

This is the first time I have done this, so thank you very much for your advice!!

I would try the free range, and then see where she goes for the evening. My guess it won't be long until she follows the others to the coop. If she doesn't follow, I would give it 3 or 4 days and then stick her in the coop.
Thank you! I had wondered about the coop part. Good to know she might just find her own way in.

Thank you! I had wondered about the coop part. Good to know she might just find her own way in.
When I integrate a single hen, which I have done several times, I section off the hen in the main coop for a week or two. The look but no touch method. Then let her out to CK out the rest of the coop first on her own when others are in the run. Then she can leave the coop when she is ready to join others outside. Works well for me. Good luck!

I agree with a lot of the above advice. What you want to avoid is putting the new hen in a strange place with strange birds. The new bird will panic, not no where to go while being pursued. A wreck. Letting the others out to free range, or even out in a back yard, while letting bird wander around and explore in a relaxed manner can really help.

For people with smaller runs/coop, this is a form of see but not touch. I have found that turning the old birds into the set up as close to dark as possible, a bit after their normal roost time, often times, the urge to roost, is greater than the urge to fight.

Similar scene with mine. Yesterday I have just inherited a sweet new hen (3 year old barred rock) to add to my flock of 5 + 1 Rooster, all yearlings. I put her in with the others in the fenced yard (perhaps 100 sq feet,,in the woods). The new girl was quickly attacked by the dominant hen, but she is a fighter, and held her own. She does not go after the others, but fights back well. But the rooster, who has been pretty sweet to date, took to fighting with her. Lots of bruises and some blood, mostly from him.

But I chickened out and separated her into the adjoining run. where she spent the night, outside the coop. Now what? Keep them separate for several days? Let the fight resume? Mr. Rooster seems now full of himself, having a new adversary to contend with. I would rather keep her than him. He is a fine looking fellow (now quite bruised), but I never wanted a roo. I was keeping him as long as he was no trouble. Here he is:

IMG_20210518_133119.jpg

The fact that your stranger hen is an older bird will be of help. She will not be a victim. But she has to work her way into the flock. She is not impressed with this young rooster, and this will pass. She will be in love with him in a couple of days.

Put the either the rooster or the dominant hen in where you have the newcomer. Letting the newcomer out with the rest. There very well be a dust up or two, but if unless it becomes bloody, leave it to work out. A high powered water gun, can be used to discourage it from getting too violent. Blast both combatants.

I would let the settle and then as late as possible, let the one penned up into the coop, 15 - 20 minutes after the others have roosted. As close to dark as you can.

I would do this in a time period where I could check on the flock fairly often for a 2 days.

Mrs K

The water hose is an intriguing idea, and might be a good way to manage this in a day or so. Tonight she again will spend it outside the coop, I think (the weather is perfect). And I may make moves of engagement tomorrow. She and he were going at it across the wire yet today, but he seemed to be the first to lose interest. There is hope. For both their sakes.

Back
Top Bottom