Introducing Stinky Baby Chicks

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Hatrick, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Hatrick

Hatrick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    So we have 2 Barred Rock hens who are very happy that we moved to the country as they now have almost 4 acres to roam about.

Unfortunately for them, they're utopia is about to be disturbed by three more hens and one rooster. They will be 6 weeks old on Friday and as much as my husband likes having hot chicks in his garage, they're getting too big and smelly for the brooder.

With our first bunch we put them outside at 6 weeks but now we have the issue of introducing them to the other hens as well as it going to be mighty cold here very soon.

From what I've read, 6 weeks is entirely too young to introduce them? Should I just set up some sort of brooder situation in the barn with our other girls but kept seperate? We have the other hens just loose in the barn at night because we haven't gotten to setting up a specific chicken area.

2. silkymom1986

silkymom1986 The Silkie Villa

Sep 28, 2011
    Byhalia, MS
    Yea I would for sure set up something to keep them seperate, I like to wait until they are almost 3 months before introducing them to the flock. A tip I learned though for when you do get ready to introduce them that has worked GREAT for me, is to put the new hens in at night while the others are already roosting, in the morning when they wake up, it's like they are already part of the flock, kinda amazing. Good luck to you!

3. GoldDogsMom

GoldDogsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    Hockey Fan?

You should wait unti they are of equal size for the introduction. I would definitely build seperate "housing" for them.

4. sonraychick

sonraychick New Egg

Jan 17, 2010
    introduce them in the yard where the young ones can get away if needed. You could also let the young ones in the coop during the day while the other chickens are out and about to keep the poo indoors limited to night time. I guess you would need nest boxes available outside for this to work. Gets the little ones used to the outdoor coop also. They will still cry like babies when you move them. Think they need to be indoors at night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by