Introducing: The Hippy Chick Egg Farm

Pics

ThatTeowonna

Songster
Oct 12, 2020
Columbia, SC
So I'm starting anew. I had 7 beautiful chickens that I was super proud of. Within a couple of months, I had to cull my flock due to LT (Infectious Laryngotracheitis). My chicken yard has been cleared (by the state extension program) and now I'm ready to get started again. I ordered chicks from Hoover's and I received my email yesterday saying they are on their way. I am so excited as I missed the company and entertainment my previous flock had been.

So today is D Day minus 1... or should I say C Day -1... that's Chick Day. I updated my prefab coop to make it more study and turn it into more of a coop that can be used to brood these 15 new chicks.

This thread will be my blog as I document this journey. Sometimes, you just want to share with like-minded people. I hope you will follow along with me and my Hippy Chicks!

Last edited:
So... I got the notification that they chicks are at the post office waiting for me. All of a sudden, a panic (and excitement) came over me. Why am I so nervous? It's not like I didn't know they were coming today. Then I thought about all that was left undone... I didn't wrap my MHP towel with press and seal. I don't have their waterer ready to go. Oh my. But I can't worry about that now. The chicks are waiting. Off to the post office I go! Here are my first interactions with the new chicks.

Today was my first full day raising baby chicks. I would consider it to be a success, even though I had two chicks that are looking iffy... I don’t think they’re going to make it (see pic). But it guess it’s common to lose one or two, in spite of best efforts.
3BDD1579-B44A-4075-9B24-D3F948DCED77.jpeg

So, here is a compilation video of my delightful first day with baby chicks. The first video is from my coop cam. Four chicks venture out from their “heat cave” in 38 degree weather. In the second video, most of the chicks had come out to take advantage of the sun. And finally, my chicks seems to be getting acclimated well, enjoying food and water. Even though there were periods of uncertainty, I’m pretty proud of myself for how things turned out. I’m so thankful to all who have offered advice and assistance.

Congratulations!! :celebrate

What kinds did you get?

How cold does it get at night for you? I’m going to have to brood outside this year, and am not sure when to get started (cuz waiting till full-on warm weather spring is going to be tough ...)

Congratulations!! :celebrate

What kinds did you get?

How cold does it get at night for you? I’m going to have to brood outside this year, and am not sure when to get started (cuz waiting till full-on warm weather spring is going to be tough ...)
I got a couple of assortments: brown egg layers and production layers, so who knows what’s all in there. I also got Welsummers.
It has been in the 30’s here in SC. But no problem with the MHP method. Take a look at them scurrying out this morning (around 7:30 am) to get food and water. I wanted to get started with chicks how so by summer, I hope to have eggs. Winter chicks had been a good experience so far.

So... I got the notification that they chicks are at the post office waiting for me. All of a sudden, a panic (and excitement) came over me. Why am I so nervous? It's not like I didn't know they were coming today. Then I thought about all that was left undone... I didn't wrap my MHP towel with press and seal. I don't have their waterer ready to go. Oh my. But I can't worry about that now. The chicks are waiting. Off to the post office I go! Here are my first interactions with the new chicks.

Aawwww, this is such a sweet sound! And look at those precious little babies ❤ So exciting! I don’t really need any more... but I can’t wait till spring!😄 Congratulations!

So I'm starting anew. I had 7 beautiful chickens that I was super proud of. Within a couple of months, I had to cull my flock due to LT (Infectious Laryngotracheitis). My chicken yard has been cleared (by the state extension program) and now I'm ready to get started again. I ordered chicks from Hoover's and I received my email yesterday saying they are on their way. I am so excited as I missed the company and entertainment my previous flock had been.

So today is D Day minus 1... or should I say C Day -1... that's Chick Day. I updated my prefab coop to make it more study and turn it into more of a coop that can be used to brood these 15 new chicks.

This thread will be my blog as I document this journey. Sometimes, you just want to share with like-minded people. I hope you will follow along with me and my Hippy Chicks!

And so sorry about your old flock! That must have been hard 😥

Back
Top Bottom