Introducing to flock

ClineFamily

In the Brooder
Mar 23, 2020
I have 5 hens and a roo (I believe to be saphire gems). I also have 2 welsummer, 2 sex link and 5 buff rock chicks. At what age do you think I can start introducing the chicks to the rest of the flock? They are only 2 & 3 weeks old right now so I still have plenty of time.
None of my hens are broody so we have been taking care of the chicks.

Attached is a picture showing how friendly and curious our buff rock chicks are. As soon as we open the door they come to greet us. They love their belly's rubbed. The other chicks stay towards the back away from us.

Attachments

• 20200321_163619.jpg
    20200321_163619.jpg
    322.7 KB · Views: 1
I would bring mine out for short periods at 3 to 4 weeks old, watch them run around with the big girls. By 6 weeks I put them in the coop an hour before sundown, let them be. Went to check on them and they were up roosting high with all the others. I would say a little integration for short times at a few weeks old and then by 6 weeks and beyond they should be ok. Fast enough to run, hide, etc.

the website "the chickenchick.com" has a very good method for introducing new members she calls it "the playpen method" look it up, it is a good idea for when you start introducing new members.

Back
Top Bottom