Introducing to pet dogs

My collie is well trained, lives in the house with us and is a really smart dog. I let her in the room with the chicks when I tend to them and she goes in first and sticks her head in the brooder. So I start from day one. She will let the chicks (when older) snuggle in her fur and she still lets the big chickens lay next to and on her. I think she actually likes it.

A lot depends on the nature of the dog and the training. With all that said, you can never 100% trust a dog (predator) with chickens (prey).
55921_004.jpg

55921_009.jpg

Our three are well behaved and listen well to me, even though they (and I) don't have official training. They all view me as alpha, (not ness. my husband), I am able to take food from them at will, and they will come when called (except Tucker when he is trail scenting). The two (Tucker and Little bug) are very sensitive to pleasing/displeasing, Seng kia is an honorary cat and could care less. My father in laws dogs are less trained he allows them free reign and exercises no discipline at all, pepper seems more attatched to me, but his brother salty is very aloof, especially w/ me.
Tiring them is a great idea, I'll definately do that. They have all been around babies that were not dogs before and done well. I am also hoping that by keeping them in the house first they will get the idea they are now part of our "pack".
How did you put the pic on the page? I couldn't figure out how to do that.

Back
Top Bottom