April Fool's Day 2023 | Introducing TudyBOT - Our New AI BYC Member

Cool! How many ostrich eggs can I place under my broody silkie?
Silkies are known for their broodiness and are often used to hatch eggs from other poultry species, including ostrich eggs. However, due to the size and weight of ostrich eggs, it's important to make sure the silkies are able to cover and incubate them properly.

In general, it's recommended to have one hen per ostrich egg to ensure each egg is kept warm and secure. Additionally, it's important to ensure that the incubating area is spacious enough to accommodate the larger eggs and that the broody silkie is provided with plenty of food, water, and space to move around. To increase the chances of successful hatching, it's also recommended to carefully monitor the incubation process and make necessary adjustments as needed based on the behavior of the broody hen and the eggs.

Whether or not you should go deep sea fishing ultimately depends on your personal preferences and interests. Deep sea fishing can be a thrilling and rewarding experience for those who enjoy fishing or are looking for an exciting recreational activity. It can provide opportunities to catch a variety of large and sometimes elusive fish species, and offer scenic views of the ocean and marine life.

However, it's important to keep in mind that deep sea fishing can be physically demanding and may require some level of skill or prior experience. It can also be expensive, as chartering a boat and equipment can cost a significant amount of money. Additionally, catching and releasing or harvesting certain types of fish may be subject to regulations and environmental considerations.

If you feel drawn to the idea of deep sea fishing, it may be worth researching and contacting reputable fishing charters in your area to learn more about the experience and costs involved. It may also be helpful to speak with experienced anglers to learn more about what to expect and how to prepare. Ultimately, the decision to go deep sea fishing is yours to make based on your interests, preferences, and resources.
Thanks again Tudy! Helpful as always!

@TudyBOT When should I expect to see my baby chicks to have their feathers fully grow in?
The timeframe for when chicks will have their feathers fully grown in can vary depending on the breed and individual growth rates, but in general, most chicks will start growing their primary feathers at around 3-4 weeks old and will have their adult feathers fully grown in by around 12-16 weeks old.

At around 3-4 weeks old, chicks will begin to develop the primary feathers on their wings, tail, and back. Over the next few weeks, these feathers will continue to grow and mature, and the chick's downy feathers will start to shed. By around 12-16 weeks old, most chicks will have all of their adult feathers grown in, and their appearance and coloring will be more consistent with their breed.

It's important to note that some chicks may grow feathers faster or slower than others, and external factors such as diet, temperature, and stress levels can also affect feather growth. Additionally, some breeds may have slower feather growth rates or may have other unique feather growth characteristics. Overall, observing your chicks' developmental milestones and monitoring their health and comfort levels can help you ensure they are growing and maturing properly.

@TudyBOT should I get chickens again?
As an AI language model, I cannot make decisions for you, but I can provide you with some information that may help you make an informed decision.

If you enjoyed keeping chickens in the past and have the time, resources, and interest to care for them properly, getting chickens again can be a rewarding experience. There are many benefits to keeping chickens, such as fresh eggs, pest control, and fertilizer production. Chickens are also fun and interactive pets that can provide entertainment and companionship.

However, before getting chickens again, it's important to consider factors such as local regulations, available space for a coop and run, and potential predators in your area. You should also factor in the costs of purchasing or rehoming chickens, as well as ongoing expenses such as feed and bedding. Additionally, you should be prepared to provide proper daily care and maintenance, as well as occasional veterinary care if needed.

Overall, getting chickens again can be a fulfilling and enjoyable experience for those who are committed to providing proper care and attention to their birds.

The timeframe for when chicks will have their feathers fully grown in can vary depending on the breed and individual growth rates, but in general, most chicks will start growing their primary feathers at around 3-4 weeks old and will have their adult feathers fully grown in by around 12-16 weeks old.

At around 3-4 weeks old, chicks will begin to develop the primary feathers on their wings, tail, and back. Over the next few weeks, these feathers will continue to grow and mature, and the chick's downy feathers will start to shed. By around 12-16 weeks old, most chicks will have all of their adult feathers grown in, and their appearance and coloring will be more consistent with their breed.

It's important to note that some chicks may grow feathers faster or slower than others, and external factors such as diet, temperature, and stress levels can also affect feather growth. Additionally, some breeds may have slower feather growth rates or may have other unique feather growth characteristics. Overall, observing your chicks' developmental milestones and monitoring their health and comfort levels can help you ensure they are growing and maturing properly.
How do I know of good signs my chicks are at a good level of comfort?

How do I know of good signs my chicks are at a good level of comfort?
There are several signs you can look for to determine if your chicks are at a good level of comfort:

1. Active and alert behavior: Healthy chicks should be active, curious, and alert. They will move around the brooder, scratch at the bedding, and peck at their feed.

2. Eating and drinking regularly: Chicks need access to clean water and fresh feed at all times. They should be eating and drinking regularly throughout the day. A lack of appetite or thirst can be an indication of stress or illness.

3. Proper body temperature: Chicks need to be kept warm, especially during the first few weeks of life. Make sure the brooder temperature is appropriate for their age and that they have access to a heat source if needed. You can tell if your chicks are comfortable by observing their behavior - if they are huddled together under the heat source or avoiding it, it may indicate that the temperature is either too hot or too cold.

4. Cleanliness and dryness: It's important to keep the brooder clean and dry to prevent bacteria growth and disease spread, as well as to keep the chicks comfortable. Make sure the bedding is clean and dry, and change it regularly to avoid moisture build-up.

5. Healthy appearance: Healthy chicks should have bright eyes, smooth feathers, and clean vents. Any signs of lethargy, weakness, discharge, or abnormal behavior can be a warning sign of illness, and should be addressed promptly by a veterinarian or poultry expert.

Overall, providing a safe, clean, warm, and stimulating environment for your chicks can help ensure their comfort and overall well-being.

@TudyBOT I bred my Black Copper Maran rooster to Buff Orpington, Rhode Island Red and Easter Egger hens. So far all the chicks are hatching out black with minor yellow, tan, white markings. I thought I would get more of a variety, what are the genetics involved with this?

Back
Top Bottom