Introducing turkey to chickens

mmikchicken

In the Brooder
May 19, 2020
Hello! I hope everyone is staying healthy and safe! Today we found a helpless little bird, who we think is a baby (maybe male but we aren’t sure) turkey pullet. (Pictures included below). My first question is whether or not that is a turkey, and if there is anyway to figure out it’s gender. My second question is regarding integrating the new bird into my current flock of 2 roosters and 7 hens. When I first introduced the new bird, it pecked one of my chickens, and then boldly walked up to one of my roosters and pecked him, and the rooster then aggressively pecked him in response. Based on his bold behavior, that was why I thought he was a male turkey but I could definitely be wrong haha! But anyways the new bird is in a nice bin with food and water inside the coop so they can see each other but no one can attack anyone else. Does anyone have any advice as to how I could integrate the new bird into my flock safely? Thank you so much!

Attachments

• BAC755D7-3B78-4B41-8D26-6E3F32427554.jpeg
    BAC755D7-3B78-4B41-8D26-6E3F32427554.jpeg
    552.4 KB · Views: 25
  • D3C402B4-8745-4552-B618-B371924D6E35.jpeg
    D3C402B4-8745-4552-B618-B371924D6E35.jpeg
    314.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 97F951C5-0323-4F59-A7C0-97FFA1E6EED7.jpeg
    97F951C5-0323-4F59-A7C0-97FFA1E6EED7.jpeg
    489.7 KB · Views: 13
Need better picture of its head but generally turkeys are bold. You will want to wait at least until its fully feathered to integrate with the flock and do it slowly and let them get used to each other. Integration can be very tricky and difficult.

Also if you see a little round dot at the top of its beak. Between its eyes that would be a turkeys snood which all turkeys i have ever seen have one

Need better picture of its head but generally turkeys are bold. You will want to wait at least until its fully feathered to integrate with the flock and do it slowly and let them get used to each other. Integration can be very tricky and difficult.

Also if you see a little round dot at the top of its beak. Between its eyes that would be a turkeys snood which all turkeys i have ever seen have one
Yes it definitely has that dot, so it’s probably a turkey. I guess we will find out if it’s a boy or girl when it’s older. Unfortunately, skmehow a squirrel snuck into our garage and nearly killed the poor guy. I found him this morning all wet so I held him under a heating lamp until her dried up and he is sleeping and looks pretty healthy. The only thing that doesn’t seem right is that he/she always has its eyes closed. (Pictures included below) mayve he is just shocked or scared, but do you have any advice? Thank you so much for all of your advice!

Attachments

• B8905F7B-47FB-4C6B-BFBC-AAF7FB21F8D2.jpeg
    B8905F7B-47FB-4C6B-BFBC-AAF7FB21F8D2.jpeg
    307.6 KB · Views: 11
Yup its a turkey. The dot is its snood. If you can hold it up by its body without touching its feet or legs and take a picture of the belly side i can probably tell you the gender. See if when you pick it up does it let its feet and legs dangle down or does it tuck its legs up to its under side. If you never had a turkey you will love it. Turkeys love attention love to be held and their necks and ears rubbed very gently. Mine like to fall asleep in my lap. They're very loving animals. After having mine for a few weeks i couldnt even eat turkey anymore. Absolutely wonderful animals

Also make sure you feed it food thats minimum 20% protien .... I feed mine 24% or if they dont have it ill get the 20% and mine are happy and healthy. Turkeys need more protien than chickens. Mine eat mealworms for treats and also to boost protien

Yup its a turkey. The dot is its snood. If you can hold it up by its body without touching its feet or legs and take a picture of the belly side i can probably tell you the gender. See if when you pick it up does it let its feet and legs dangle down or does it tuck its legs up to its under side. If you never had a turkey you will love it. Turkeys love attention love to be held and their necks and ears rubbed very gently. Mine like to fall asleep in my lap. They're very loving animals. After having mine for a few weeks i couldnt even eat turkey anymore. Absolutely wonderful animals
Thank you for your help. I’m sorry it took so long to get back to you! Unfortunately the attack from the squirrel must have caught up with the little guy and he passed yesterday. The poor thing. Thank you again for your help! And yes he was a sweet little guy and has definitely convinced me to get turkeys again!

Sorry to hear !! Such a shame. Am glad to hear of your interest in turkeys. I would advise not getting broad breasted turkeys cause they are bread to be meat birds and the poor things can barely walk at 2 months old and dont live much longer than 6 months or so. Theyre organs cant keep up with their growth. I personally think it should be illegal to genetically modify birds for meat. They are miserable for their entire short lives they do have. Anyways best of luck to ya

Sorry to hear !! Such a shame. Am glad to hear of your interest in turkeys. I would advise not getting broad breasted turkeys cause they are bread to be meat birds and the poor things can barely walk at 2 months old and dont live much longer than 6 months or so. Theyre organs cant keep up with their growth. I personally think it should be illegal to genetically modify birds for meat. They are miserable for their entire short lives they do have. Anyways best of luck to ya

My advice would be royal palms. Stunning birds

Oh my that is horrible those poor little birds. Thank you so much for your help!

Back
Top Bottom