Introducing Two bantams and a Standard to my one bantam. Good Idea?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Kimchi, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Kimchi

Kimchi Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2010
    Utah
    Well, here's the story, I once had three bantams in my coop, 1 rooster, two hens, sadly, One hen passed away, And now the neighbors complained about the little noisy rooster, I'm thinking about giving him to my friend, who breeds Silkies and easter eggers, and she's willing to sell me two silkies and a Easter egger; who are about 4-5 months old, and leave him at her ranch.
    I just don't feel 100% safe with with adding three new chickens to my one little banty. Would she be out numbered and get attacked? Or do you guys think she'll be ok? I guess nobody can be for sure, But do you guys have ANY advice? Thanks!

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I can understand your reluctance. A bantam is so tiny I would be worried too. Do you have enough housing to separate them into 2 groups- bantam and silkie, and EE and silkie? Let the pairs get used to each other before mixing the 4 in together. I never have had any luck introducing a single bird into a group, but have been able to introduce multiple birds into new flocks without much issue. I think pairing them up for a week or two will ease the transition. It will also give you some idea of whether the flock dynamics are going to work or not.

Good luck with your decision.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by