Introducing two chickens who hate each other

Pics

Zerex

Chirping
Oct 15, 2020
So, I'm in a bit of a predicament. A while back one of my chickens died. I keep all of my chickens as pets so this was very heartbreaking. I adopted two other chickens to keep my other two happy. I separated them through a wire mesh grate in the coop to keep them separated but they could also see each other and get use to one another. This has worked fine for me in the past. I had to kind of rush my plans to introduce them when another of my hens died leaving the other by herself.

However, it appears that Snow and Sunny (one of my chicks) hate each other. This is not normal pecking behavior. They are genuinely afraid of each other and are pecking to kill. This is likely because Sunny grew so fast. She's only a few months old but already larger than the average hen. I assume she's a leghorn, the store that I got her at must have mislabeled her. Sunny is sweet but she looks intimidating which is causing Snow to attack her violently every time I try to introduce them. My last chick, Happy, also must have been mislabeled because she is small enough to be a bantam and I've raised rhode island reds before and she is nowhere near as large as she should be. Also a cause for concern.

I had thought that the wire mesh would have been enough for them to get used to each other...

My problem is timing. It gets very cold around here and if I can't find a way for all three of them to get along before the snow hits they will be in very bad trouble, especially my Snow, who is already so very lonely. If anyone has any suggestions about how to make two chickens who hate each other to the death become friends that would be very nice. Otherwise, I'm in real trouble here.

Snow (age 1 & 1/2)

Personality: Easily intimidated, Skittish, Loves Snuggles
- Basically she's a big baby

Attachments

• 122687394_2726740797655296_8991937780595935553_n.jpg
    122687394_2726740797655296_8991937780595935553_n.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 94
  • 118852270_315469956335279_6454938521734428428_n.jpg
    118852270_315469956335279_6454938521734428428_n.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 138
Sunny (age 4 months)

Personality: Easily intimidated, Skittish, Scared of Everything
- Big scaredy cat
Sunny is a meat bird cockerel.. cornish cross .. and your Deleware Snow isn't used to being mated.

Happy looks fine...

Rehome your Sunny if you don't want or need a rooster.. Yes he was mislabeled.

You could also just keep sunny behind the wire mesh while he matures some more and let the females bond a bit.. try integrating him later.

Two ladies passing in a short period.. I'd want answers. Sorry for your loss! :hugs

Best wishes finding a solution! :fl

Sunny is a meat bird cockerel.. cornish cross .. and your Deleware Snow isn't used to being mated.

Happy looks fine...

Rehome your Sunny if you don't want or need a rooster.. Yes he was mislabeled.

You could also just keep sunny behind the wire mesh while he matures some more and let the females bond a bit.. try integrating him later.

Two ladies passing in a short period.. I'd want answers. Sorry for your loss! :hugs

Best wishes finding a solution! :fl

Are you sure that Sunny is a rooster? She squats submissively when I pet her. I didn't know roosters did that... Also, no spurs that I can see. I don't want to give her up. I don't think I'd be able to do that. I bond with all my birds.

My Blue died suddenly, likely from a heart attack. I think Skye died from old age because she was pretty old.

- Snow is a Brahma. I love her feathery feet. :)

Last edited:
I agree, that you have two pullets and a rooster. I would also agree that the rooster is a meat bird... and they generally are not long lived. They tend to outgrow their bodies.

Put the pullets together, keep the rooster apart. The cold weather is not going to effect him, he has a massive enough body to keep himself warm.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom