1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Introducing young bantam flock to 3 standard hens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ambabya, Jun 19, 2011.

1. ambabya

ambabya Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    I have 3 hens who are just over a year old. I also have a little flock of bantams, 7 roos and hens, about 3-4 months old.

I have been cooping them close to each other so they can see but not touch for 6 weeks. The big hens have been allowed out in the yard a lot and have checked out the bantams. I have started letting them all out together under supervision. Today, the bantams went in the big hens' run and dinked around for a few hours (with the door open). After awhile, the big girls went in and chased them out. Nothing too dramatic, the dominate hen just shooed them all out the door.

I have researched here and I *think* I'm going about this pretty well. I'm looking for any suggestions anyone may have. I'm planning on doing the same thing tomorrow (letting them all loose in the yard together). I'm a little worried about the silkie bantam. My dominate hen is a large EE.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by