Introducing Your Dog to your chickens ***UPDATE ON SUCCESS***

Good advice here. I trained my dogs and they run loose with the chickens now; took some time and supervision, though. I'm so glad they do because they are evidently keeping the coons and fox and such away. It can be done, at least with some dogs.

Due to their natural instincts, Im not sure that most dogs can be successfully trained such that they are truly trustworthy around chickens without close supervision. Some will be okay, but most will not.

my beagle was 4 when we brought the new chicks home. She was curious but couldnt reach them. She stood near by looking often and sometimes I would let her sniff one. One day one must have flew out and I found her on my bed with this chick licking it like a new puppy. It was wet but unharmed. She never tried to hurt them, they were like puppies to her and she protected them. Even now they are nearly a year old and she even herds them with me when Im trying to get them in the pen. I think it just depends on the dog, who knew a hunting dog with those instincts could be a loving chickie mother.

This has been another -big- concern of mine while deciding to get chickens. My dog is a wonderful half Samoyed, half collie who is over ten years old, I'm thinking he's 14. He can't see like he used to, can't hear as well, has one lame leg, yet he still hunts rabbits, coons, snakes and even catches and eats big snapping turtles! He's a free range farm dog. As natural a hunter as he is he's never ever been a mean dog. He loves us and we him. He's very protective of us and is good with my grandchildren and even my adult children's dogs when they visit.

I had considered waiting til he was gone to doggy heaven, not looking forward to that sad day, before getting my chicks but I couldn't help myself and my baby birds will be here this week.

I'll keep the brooder inside the first couple weeks (peeps and dust ohhh my) and slowly introduce him to them but I know I'll never be able to free range my chickens while he's around. I'm planning on the coop being very secure and will have to be especially careful burying the fence as he digs like mad.

I wonder if an electric fence would hurt him now that he's so advanced in years. I wonder if there is any hope of him accepting the birds into our pack.. I'll be trying and will post my results.

Thanks for bringing up this issue.
smile.png

Quote:
Best of luck to you and hope it goes well, maybe he will be okay with it. It's like the "lambs and the lion" principle isn't it?! Hopefully no tragedies. Thank you for responding!

When introducing my dogs to new pets I go in expecting them to behave. Going in being nervous they are going know it.
The worst thing my GSD does is tries to pick them up like puppies. She does it with every thing..my chicks my rabbit my other dog..
Shes a nut.
As soon as I see any false moves I make a ehh! noise and she backs down.

When I first introduced them to chickens I let them run around the coop to watch for any aggression. Once I saw they were going to behave I let them in the coop one at a time to sniff around.
Now they dont think twice about chickens. The chicks peeping all the time they are a little more sniffy about but....they behave.

Good luck!

I really do think it depends on the dog. We have three. Jack, our Mini Aussie, is VERY curious about the chicks. I've let him sniff at them, and, so far, he's been very good. Stella, our Beagle mix, is pretty slow and laid back, so I'm not too worried about her, either.

Then there's Zoe. Zoe is a Husky mix. She will chase anything that moves. Our chicks spent their first night in the coop last night, and I literally had to drag Zoe away to put her up for the night. She's been out at the coop since we let her out this morning, sniffing around, and trying to find a way in. I tied her up to the picnic table while I fed and watered them, today.

We're going to be building our run while the chickens get used to their new home, and I'm accepting the fact that Zoe will be our predator test case. If we can keep her out of the run, I'm pretty convinced that foxes, coyotes, raccoons, etc. won't be able to get in, either!
fl.gif
And the good news is, I know no other daytime predators will get near the chickens, with Zoe lurking around the coop all day!

Good luck, Carlton!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom