Introducting Ducks

Best reason I can come up with for introducing slowly is so the drakes don't start getting frisky with the girls right off and scaring them before they have a chance to get settled and have proper intros. Boys can be a little nutty when girls are first introduced.

If all your new girls come from the same source and have been together from hatching, or certainly for a long time, the introductions are likely to go smoothly and speedily. I would give the new girls a few days to get used to the premises and make the new duckhouse their home, while being able to see but not touch your boys. Then you should be able to do supervised open access. I've only done this with pekins, but i believe most female ducks are easy compared with drakes.

My son recently introduced a rescued juvenile drake to his girls without any see no touch time. He just emptied new boy out of the pet carrier into his back yard with his girls [pekins and a muscovy] and they were all friends immediately. New boy just followed the girls around to get the hang of life in his new home and followed them into the coop at bedtime. This method is not advised but just an example that females are readily accepting of a new drake.

It took me a full 4 weeks to integrate the new boy's brother into my own all drake flock [also pekins and muscovies] and the pekins are still sleeping in dogcrates in the coop to keep the peace between themselves and with the muscovies.
Hello! Thank your reply. I have reserved some girls all from the same breeder and are currently living together. We pick them up saturday and have devided the duck run into 2 so the boys will have 1 side and the girls the other side. There is 25mm hole chicken wire between them so they will be able to see each other.

I hope this goes better than introducing my chickens to the boys, my chickens hated them snd started to attack them after multiple no touch time. They now live in separate areas 😂

Best reason I can come up with for introducing slowly is so the drakes don't start getting frisky with the girls right off and scaring them before they have a chance to get settled and have proper intros. Boys can be a little nutty when girls are first introduced.
Thank you for your response! I am happy to do a slow introduction as I just want things to go well 😊

I don't think the drakes and females will have much trouble getting to know each other if you take it slow with them. My Runners are very accepting of other Runners. Might only take a day or two before they will be fine together. Those things you have to play by ear.

I just go and get them and then send pictures to my husband of them while he is at work. That way he has hours to adjust to the idea, lol.
I did that when I got a puppy!

These responses are great!

In 13 years hubby and I have done this to each other a few times. Usually dogs, but one day mail ran and "magically" we had chicken hatching eggs. Needless to say he didn't have an option at that point. He got me the other day at TSC though with "hey, we're getting some ducks". Guess who takes care of them......not him. 😂

These responses are great!

In 13 years hubby and I have done this to each other a few times. Usually dogs, but one day mail ran and "magically" we had chicken hatching eggs. Needless to say he didn't have an option at that point. He got me the other day at TSC though with "hey, we're getting some ducks". Guess who takes care of them......not him. 😂
Surprise attacks are the very best. Don't ask, just do. LOL

Back
Top Bottom