Introducting Ducks

Jun 13, 2022
Hey!

Ive posted on here before about my 2 Indian Runner Ducks I rescued. After a few weeks of confusion, I am now sure they are both males. However I would like to introduce some females to them. The original plan was to have them living with my chickens in the same run but my chickens are so mean to them so it wouldnt work. Ive found some females for sale but I want to know some tips for introducing the females to my 2 males. Is there anything I am suppose to do and do they often bicker when first meeting up? Im good with chickens but still learning with ducks 😊

Many thanks

I just go and get them and then send pictures to my husband of them while he is at work. That way he has hours to adjust to the idea, lol.
I did that when I got a puppy!

These responses are great!

In 13 years hubby and I have done this to each other a few times. Usually dogs, but one day mail ran and "magically" we had chicken hatching eggs. Needless to say he didn't have an option at that point. He got me the other day at TSC though with "hey, we're getting some ducks". Guess who takes care of them......not him. 😂

These responses are great!

In 13 years hubby and I have done this to each other a few times. Usually dogs, but one day mail ran and "magically" we had chicken hatching eggs. Needless to say he didn't have an option at that point. He got me the other day at TSC though with "hey, we're getting some ducks". Guess who takes care of them......not him. 😂
Surprise attacks are the very best. Don't ask, just do. LOL

Best way to introduce is through fencing probably won't take long for intros to happen but just putting the females in with your drakes can be traumatizing for the females. so give them a chance to meet and greet through fencing for at least a few days. I don't know how many females you are looking at but those boys are going to need at least 3 each or more if you have the room. My Runner drake has 9 females but none are over-mated which is the main worry when putting females in with 2 drakes.

Love to see some pictures when you have time.
:welcome
Hello! Thanks for your reply!

Thank you for your advice, and will certainly take it on. Im looking at getting many females as read about over mating, just want to make sure the run and coops are all ready before we get the girls, the pond is also being finished tomorrow too. Ill attach a picture of my 2 boys which confusingly people and I thought were girls 😊

Attachments

• 20220623_141135.jpg
    20220623_141135.jpg
    928.1 KB · Views: 4
Oh I remember them they are gorgeous. Do both sound raspy now?
Sounds like you have a good plan going forward.
Are you looking to get Runner females for your boys?
Yeah both of them raspy now! A couple weeks ago we were convinced one was a girl. We have asked so many people and showed so many videos to people and had a mixed responses but they are both raspy. Im not 100% certain they are both boys but 90% sure. I match their quacks to male quacks on you tube. Yeah looking for female runners 😊

Back
Top Bottom