Pekin ducks

Jengellenner

Hatching
Feb 8, 2024
Hi,

I recently got some ducks in November 2023. Originally thought to be a mum and her babies. I've ended up with a dad, 2 sons and 1 female. They live in a large coop with my 2 female chickens and 2 roosters. One rooster came with the ducks, and Originally thought he was a duck. Now they are all at the age where seeing the sex is very apparent and I'm worried for my girls. I want to keep the female duck and the female chooks. How many boys can I have , without my female chickens or my duck getting sad getting hurt?

your duck needs at least one duck friend. it can be one drake or get other girl ducks. or do both ( keep one drake and get a few more duckhens) best ratio 1 to 5 ( drake to duck hen)
possibly with the good ratio you drake might leave your chicken hens alone. but
but your chicken hens may get injured and killed by a drake.
you are right to be worried.
i also relplied on your other thread.
let’s also tag @Miss Lydia for best advice .

:welcome
Like @Jenbirdee says you will need at least 4 and up for each drake I have 3 Runner drakes and my ratio is 3 to 16 females and I still may have problems but nothing yet.
Check on here if you keep scrolling you'll see rehoming forum and poultry for sale plus you can also ask in state forum https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/find-your-states-or-your-countrys-thread.270925/ My ducks coop with my chickens but I have never had any problems with the drakes going after my hens becasue they are kept busy with their females.
I hope you can find more females if you decide to keep them all.
or keep the females and 1 drake but you'll still need more females.

Back
Top Bottom