Introduction and hello

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by friednotscrambled, Jun 26, 2019.

1. friednotscrambled

friednotscrambled In the Brooder

Jun 25, 2019
    Hi all,

It has been a while since I had birds - now have 8 chickens (4 roo's and 4 hens, pretty sure). They are about 3.5 months old now. Started with 10 (that we hatched in an incubator) - just farmyard chickens from local eggs to get a handle on inubating eggs (it is a brinsea, so pretty easy!) - lost one to a black snake (whole other story - continued below) and one that just didn't thrive... The roos will be going into the slow cooker soon, as they are starting to crow now - which is amusing... for now. LOL

Hatched 34 chukar eggs (started with 49) - unfortunately the power went out for about 1.5 hours 3 days before the chukar were due to hatch, or I believe we would have had a much better hatch rate...Then we lost about 10 5-6 week old chukar to black snakes so far - of the ten - 6 were left because they were too big. This was as a result 3 different snakes getting into the hen house or yard... The chicken wire obviously doesn't keep them out of the birdpen and I believe two got in through a very small crack in the door to the henhouse....going to get that resolved soon. Just saw another HUGE black snake cross the road, 1/4 mile from our house... (had NO idea there would be that many around - we have already relocated 4! in the last month!)

Have 10 mallard eggs in the incubator now - they are due to hatch in a week. These and the chukar will be used for dog training (I understand some people may be offended by this, however, I have no intention of hiding the fact that I use birds to train hunting dogs). And yes, I do have the paperwork for the eggs and will clip the duckling dew claws to id them as domestic.

After the mallards are hatched, I am putting in some deathlayer eggs... These, I am really looking forward to because I think they are just stunning as far as 'looks' goes, and I think it is neat to have a 'heritage' breed. Looking forward to keeping them. If they lay well, I may just sell the farmyard pullets to someone who doesn't care if they have a purebred chicken.

2. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    Hello and welcome to BYC. I hope that you enjoy your time here.

This is a useful link to take a look at - “How to...” guides. You may wish to consider including your location (using the guide in the link above). You can use this link to contact members in your area - U.S. States

Best wishes

Pork Pie

3. ClucksAndCombs

ClucksAndCombs Free Ranging

Apr 19, 2018
    New England
    Welcome to BYC! :frow Enjoy your time here!

4. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
  5. Melky

Melky Spring has sprung!

Jul 23, 2018
    Edgewood, KY
    My Coop
    9AE34542-F219-4205-ABF8-2C24BF4A265D.jpeg
    Welcome to BYC!​

6. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
    It sounds like hardware cloth is in your future.

7. fldiver97

fldiver97 Enabler

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    My Coop
    Welcome :welcome

8. Leahs Coop

Leahs Coop Free Ranging

Nov 5, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Hello,:frow and a warm welcome to Backyard Chickens! It's great to have you here with us!

9. 007Sean

007Sean Pheasant Whisperer

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Howdy :frow and Welcome to Backyard Chickens.

Thanks for joining our community! :celebrate

10. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Enabler

Hello, and welcome! Glad that you joined! Good luck on your flock and hatching!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: