introduction and plea for help

boysnchickens

Hatching
5 Years
Nov 28, 2014
Hello! I am new here…well not really new…been lurking since we got our chickens last Good Friday…but finally decided I needed to post to get help for my girl Bessie. I posted over in emergencies about what is going on with her if anyone here can take a look and help me out. This site has been so informative and I was able to help one of my other girls, Betty, when one of our dogs go her too. She made a full recovery.
My 3 boys talked me into buying chickens at the local feed store last spring. I was leary, but they really have been fun and educational. We have 9 total. 2 RIR; 2 BO; 2 EE; Betty our black sex link, Bessie our red sex link, and a white brahma.

Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. A lot of us were lurkers before joining. You didn't say what was wrong with Bessie, but hopefully someone over in our Emergency section can help you out with her. I'm glad that Betty made a full recovery. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with Bessie recovering.

Bessie was attacked by one of our dogs a week ago. She had two pretty nasty gashes, but they are healing nicely and no infection. Thanks to following the advice on here. Her right leg seems to be locked at the joint. I just gave her a warm epsom salt bath and tried to help her staighten it but it won't release at the joint. I am able to poke around at it quite a bit and she doesn't squawk so I don't think it is broken, but I have no idea what IS wrong with it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

I am sorry about your Bessie. You might try our emergency section and maybe someone can help you. The joint could be dislocated. But don't do anything to her you are afraid to do to her....https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

Do you have a vet you can take her too? I sure hope you can get her straightened out soon.
hugs.gif

I hope someone will have the advice you need to get your hen over this hurdle. In the meantime - I hope you can find a way to deal with your dog or he will continue to attack and maybe kill your birds.

Yes, we are having an issue with one of our dogs and our chickens. The dogs are not to be out in the yard if the chickens are out of their run, but my middle son accidentally let the dogs out. Of course the chicken the dog got is his chicken and he is very tender hearted and is quite upset about it. If my husband and I are out the dogs know better than to mess with the chickens.

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you.

I'm sorry to hear about Bessie! I hope somebody can help you out.

Back
Top Bottom