Introduction and question about what to get chicken lovers???

gudrin

Songster
11 Years
Oct 30, 2008
Minnesota
I've lurked around this forum for a very long time, and finally I decided to join and make a post. I do not have chickens right now, but hopefully will sometime in the future. I'm reading up on everything I can and designing a coop in the meantime. My family does, however, get eggs from a couple at church. They are very wonderful about doing this, and refuse to accept any kind of payment. I was wondering if there was something I could get them or do for them that would let them know how much we appreciate the free eggs. Does anyone have any ideas? I can't spend much money right now (really can anyone??), so I'm looking for a low cost/no cost option. Do chickens like sunflower seeds, or should I not use that option?

We are just starting to get our eggs straight from them, as we used to get them from our Pastor's family who would get them from this couple. They would receive 3 dozen a week, and certainly could not use all of them. Now our pastor has left, and so we talked to the couple directly. They are SO much better than store-bought eggs. There's really no comparison.

Thank you very much for your help!! I'll be checking back and seeing what people say!
gudrin

Well, dont get them a fryer, thats for sure. Hmm, there are several people here who have homemade items that they sell. Ifin you look into their signature lines you will find most of them. Its a win win thing for you, your egg supplying friends, and the person who makes the items.

Welcome to the world of chickens. I will warn you, if you do not get out now, you will NEVER get out!

How about a bag of feed? You will eventually get it back in your eggs. ;-)

We have cherry trees in our yard, so special thank you's are usually a cherry pie. Do you have something that is rare for others to have, like the cherries? That seems to be always appreciated.

It is very good of you to want to repay the favor of the fresh eggs.

WELCOME!
You could even just save your old bread and table scraps for their flock. It sure helps cut down feed costs. I stopped at the little outlet store today and they had free lettuce again! Yippee...the girls have lettuce for the next couple of days.
And yes, chickens do like sunflower seed.
smile.png
They like almost ANYTHING!!
lol.png

Yep, I think feed or chicken treats would make a great gift. I agree, anything that would help with the feed cost would be great.

And Welcome!

~Terry~

Thank you for responding. That helps out a lot. So the basic consensus is to get the chickens some treats. I like that idea, and I have a lot around the house that I could give. Random question: Can chickens eat whole corn? As in field corn that I got out of a bin on my in-laws farm? Or is that not a good idea? I have some of that left from when I was making heating pads. Otherwise I was thinking that I have some sunflower seeds that they could have, if that's okay for chickens. Would that work? I'm already saving up bread ends and the like. Thank you again!

My girls LOVE sunflower seeds. I had a row of the giants planted just for them, I just toss in a head or two every few days and they go to town on them.

Oh, and
welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom