Introduction and Rooster help

Chick79

Hatching
Jul 6, 2015
Hi all. I have posted on here once but haven't introduced myself. I have had chickens - all rescue ex battery hens since I was a baby. I currently have 2 leghorn roosters, a broiler hen and 2 layers ( not sure what breed).

I have never had issues with chickens until now. We didn't plan on getting roosters, they were a result of taking ex hatching project babies. We now have too many roosters compared to hens. This weekend we are building a coop for the roosters to seperate them. I'm wondering though do i move the roosters away from the roosters sight or does it matter if I put their coops next to each other? I just don't want crowing all day.

Thank you

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. The only way to avoid crowing all day is to get rid of the roosters. If you cut down to one rooster that will probably help somewhat as the roosters won't be competing with each other. If I'm reading you correctly and you only have three hens, you need to get some more hens if you're going to keep a rooster with them as the recommended ratio of roosters to hens is 1 rooster for every 10 hens. As they mature too many roosters (or in your case too few hens) will become very hard physically on your hens; over-breeding them, biting and plucking the feathers from their necks and backs, battering them, and potentially, seriously injuring them. The only reason you really need a rooster is to fertilize eggs for hatching, and 1 rooster can easily handle 10-15 hens in this regard. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Hi Michael. Thank you very much. Yes I don't have enough hens for.my boys. It was not planned that way and we did have a few other chickens but they died due to reproductive disease. If I split up the rooters from the hens do you think that's ok to do? The roosters get along really well and one is really quiet.

I honestly do not have the heart to get rid of the boys or even one. I did try a rescue place but they were not taking any more animals in. Everyone I know that has chickens do not want roosters

As you said "Everyone I know that has chickens do not want roosters." That's is pretty much true everywhere - in the great majority of cases, people take them only to have for dinner or worse plans.

I'm very sorry I don't have anything hopeful to offer. If you keep the roos in bachelor pads - sooner or later they will start trying to breed each other and the ensuing fights will be savage. If they can see or hear hens that will just egg them on. Even if you no longer had hens, I don't believe they will ever make a peaceful grouping or one that allows them to enjoy life in some capacity.

So sorry for your dilemma, I wish I had constructive advice, but all I can do is keep my fingers crossed that you will be able to find some good homes. I know it's not what you want to hear, but roo fights can get very ugly and the results can also cause major heartache.

Hi Michael. Thank you very much. Yes I don't have enough hens for.my boys. It was not planned that way and we did have a few other chickens but they died due to reproductive disease. If I split up the rooters from the hens do you think that's ok to do? The roosters get along really well and one is really quiet.

I honestly do not have the heart to get rid of the boys or even one. I did try a rescue place but they were not taking any more animals in. Everyone I know that has chickens do not want roosters

You can definitely split up the roosters from the hens as long as the two of them get along okay with each other; but just know that you are going to get lots of crowing.

Get 10 to 12 sex link hens per rooster so you won't accidentally get more roos. Kick back and become an egg baron.

Get 10 to 12 sex link hens per rooster so you won't accidentally get more roos. Kick back and become an egg baron.

LOL! X2 on the above. Black Sex Links are my personal favorites as they are very friendly and hardy, egg laying machines. I've raised them for years (along with dozens of other breeds and hybrids), and they have been my best layers, consistently churning out more than 300 large, brown eggs per hen per years. And since they can be sexed by color from hatching, as ConPollos says, there is no danger of accidentally getting more roosters. :eek:)

LOL! X2 on the above. Black Sex Links are my personal favorites as they are very friendly and hardy, egg laying machines. I've raised them for years (along with dozens of other breeds and hybrids), and they have been my best layers, consistently churning out more than 300 large, brown eggs per hen per years. And since they can be sexed by color from hatching, as ConPollos says, there is no danger of accidentally getting more roosters. :eek:)

I have 6 Golden Comets that started laying at 14 to 16 weeks. I love them. I'd love to try your black sex links too.

With fear and trepidation, lest I end up with accidental roos, I also got some BAs, BPRs, Ws, and EEs all pullets. I also ordered an EE roo, who is white and lavender.

Fortune smiled on my flock, so now I have 25 girls and 1 boy. If my roo could tolerate another boy, I might rescue somebody's unwanted roo at some point. But that's another can or worms.

Back
Top Bottom