Introduction :D

Bequailet

In the Brooder
May 28, 2023
Hi all,

I’m Thomas and i raise some poultry in my backyard in Belgium. At the moment i have a small flock of cochin with 1 hen brooding on 5 eggs. I also have a pair of bobwhite quail and a bunch of coturnix. Some of the coturnix is giving me troubles by brooding on a bobwhites eggs (posted this in another tread). I dont have a ton of experience but i do hope to learn alot here on BYC en give input where i can!

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
Always had chickens

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
Only 3, hopefully more soon!

(3) What breeds do you have?
pekin bantams

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
I do like the self sufficiency even in my very limited way.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

Gardening, sports and fishing

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
I live together with my girlfriend and daughter.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

Found it whilst googeling my troubles ;)

Kind regards,

Thomas

Hello Thomas and welcome to BYC! :frow

So glad you decided to join. Most Coturnix don't stay broody long, broodiness has pretty much been bred out of them. So I doubt she will incubate the Bob eggs long, however that's not to say she won't go full term, she could. So you might have an incubator ready in case she quits after a week of setting. Bob eggs take about 24-25 days.

Welcome to our community!

Hi all,

I’m Thomas and i raise some poultry in my backyard in Belgium. At the moment i have a small flock of cochin with 1 hen brooding on 5 eggs. I also have a pair of bobwhite quail and a bunch of coturnix. Some of the coturnix is giving me troubles by brooding on a bobwhites eggs (posted this in another tread). I dont have a ton of experience but i do hope to learn alot here on BYC en give input where i can!

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
Always had chickens

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
Only 3, hopefully more soon!

(3) What breeds do you have?
pekin bantams

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
I do like the self sufficiency even in my very limited way.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

Gardening, sports and fishing

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
I live together with my girlfriend and daughter.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

Found it whilst googeling my troubles ;)

Kind regards,

Thomas
Welcome to BYC!!

Hello Thomas and welcome to BYC! :frow

So glad you decided to join. Most Coturnix don't stay broody long, broodiness has pretty much been bred out of them. So I doubt she will incubate the Bob eggs long, however that's not to say she won't go full term, she could. So you might have an incubator ready in case she quits after a week of setting. Bob eggs take about 24-25 days.

Welcome to our community!
Hi TwoCrows,

Thanks for the response! Long story short, she stayed on the eggs for a while but the bobwhite kept giving here new eggs to brood on, so now im clueless on how far the eggs are 🤣. I posted more of the story here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/candling-bobwhite-quail-eggs-photos.682179/

Hi TwoCrows,

Thanks for the response! Long story short, she stayed on the eggs for a while but the bobwhite kept giving here new eggs to brood on, so now im clueless on how far the eggs are 🤣. I posted more of the story here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/candling-bobwhite-quail-eggs-photos.682179/
I made you your own thread in our Quail forums, the thread you posted on will never get you help. If you would rather another title, I can change it for you! :) I posted on your new thread and also tagged someone else that knows Bob eggs. Click here to find your thread... https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/question-about-age-of-broody-quail-eggs.1582304/

Back
Top Bottom