1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Introduction of new members

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chick raiser, Jan 28, 2013.

1. chick raiser

chick raiser Out Of The Brooder

Jan 10, 2013
    I am thinking to add 10 new members (chickens only) on my flock. They will be around 1-2 months old. My current flock has an age of 7-9 months. Do you think that this will be a problem?

Thanks a lot for your info in advance.

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    It would be easier to introduce the newbies when they are more or less the same size as the rest of your flock. If possible, keep them near your chickens, so they can see each other and get used to each other, without being able to physically get to each other. Then when they are around 4 months old put them all together. There will probably be some pecking and bullying as they reestablish the pecking order, but by that time they won't be "strangers" anymore so the integration should go fairly smooth.

3. nova022

nova022 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2012
    I agree with sumi and would wait until the new ones are closer in size to the older ones. I have had a very hard time mixing my two flocks, (6 months and 3 months). The older ones were very mean to the younger ones when I first tried to combine them, so I have them living side by side in seperate runs and put their feed dishes across from each other (but in their own runs) so it seems like they are eating together. They pay less attention to each other now. I will try putting them together again when the youngest are four months and see how it goes.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Good advice from Sumi. Understand that whatever the size, there will be some pecking and fighting upon introduction. This is normal and to be expected. Chicken society/the pecking order is frequently not kind.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  5. chick raiser

chick raiser Out Of The Brooder

Jan 10, 2013
    Thanks a lot for your time. This forum is something more than useful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by