Introduction to BYC

cowgirlchristaX

In the Brooder
Jun 6, 2023
Hey everyone!

My name is Christa, but a lot of my close friends like to call me Chris. I'm from the east coast of North Carolina, and I'm a 23 year old recently graduated college student. I have my Associates in Aquaculture Technology [fish, particularly shellfish, farming] and grew up on a commercial fishing boat.

I've been involved in livestock for as long as I can remember, but my main focus has always been on horses. I worked in the rescue industry for years and helped to run a 501c3 for about 7 years, and have trained and ridden here and there between everything else. I no longer do, unfortunately, just simply due to my body telling me that it's already time to turn in the towel on that level of the grind, and having a few nasty accidents myself. I still very much enjoy my saddle time though.

I am still pretty new to birds & poultry and pretty much everything that I have learned has been within the past month, month and a half as crazy as it sounds. BYC has been helping me a lot with any of my questions, and I've spent a lot of time digging through internet forums, articles, posts, websites, and Facebook pages to get as much information as I can.
I live with my family currently, and we have 4 indoor dogs [my 5 yo APBT, our 1 yo Boxer, our 2 yo Beagle x Redbone and our 1 yo Foxhound rescue], my ferret and a saltwater tank [that I'm actually trying to sell LOL] on top of 21 hunting dogs that are our pride and joy, but just about everybody is old and retired so nobody runs anymore and are just fat, happy and loved now. ❤️

My flock currently consists of 5 mixed Marans breeds, 7 Ameracauna BYM, 7 Indian Runners [1 special needs], 2 wry neck rescues [1 Jersey Giant & 1 SLW] and a Sapphire Gem with a slipped tendon & twisted leg due to it that we are trying to fix, along with a splash rooster [AC x EE from my understanding, but I dont think so] that I saved after a "LGD" attacked him and nearly killed him. My mom is a 3rd party contractor for TSC and tends to bring home the sick bay chicks for me to nurse to health as pets if they are fixable, so the flock continues to grow.

My ultimate goal is to become NPIP/AI certified, state certified and licenses as a breeder, trader & hatchery of my own and breed higher quality bred birds rather than hatchery quantity and of less commonly seen breeds in my area. I'm one to believe a lot in culling out bad genetics that to not belong in the breeding pool, and have a family farm locally that takes any birds of mine that do not reach those expectations/standards to pass their genes on and use them for eggs and/or processing so they are not simply being put to waste.

I am super excited to be joining the BYC community and extremely excited to see what else I can learn from everybody. ❤️

Hey everyone!

My name is Christa, but a lot of my close friends like to call me Chris. I'm from the east coast of North Carolina, and I'm a 23 year old recently graduated college student. I have my Associates in Aquaculture Technology [fish, particularly shellfish, farming] and grew up on a commercial fishing boat.

I've been involved in livestock for as long as I can remember, but my main focus has always been on horses. I worked in the rescue industry for years and helped to run a 501c3 for about 7 years, and have trained and ridden here and there between everything else. I no longer do, unfortunately, just simply due to my body telling me that it's already time to turn in the towel on that level of the grind, and having a few nasty accidents myself. I still very much enjoy my saddle time though.

I am still pretty new to birds & poultry and pretty much everything that I have learned has been within the past month, month and a half as crazy as it sounds. BYC has been helping me a lot with any of my questions, and I've spent a lot of time digging through internet forums, articles, posts, websites, and Facebook pages to get as much information as I can.
I live with my family currently, and we have 4 indoor dogs [my 5 yo APBT, our 1 yo Boxer, our 2 yo Beagle x Redbone and our 1 yo Foxhound rescue], my ferret and a saltwater tank [that I'm actually trying to sell LOL] on top of 21 hunting dogs that are our pride and joy, but just about everybody is old and retired so nobody runs anymore and are just fat, happy and loved now. ❤️

My flock currently consists of 5 mixed Marans breeds, 7 Ameracauna BYM, 7 Indian Runners [1 special needs], 2 wry neck rescues [1 Jersey Giant & 1 SLW] and a Sapphire Gem with a slipped tendon & twisted leg due to it that we are trying to fix, along with a splash rooster [AC x EE from my understanding, but I dont think so] that I saved after a "LGD" attacked him and nearly killed him. My mom is a 3rd party contractor for TSC and tends to bring home the sick bay chicks for me to nurse to health as pets if they are fixable, so the flock continues to grow.

My ultimate goal is to become NPIP/AI certified, state certified and licenses as a breeder, trader & hatchery of my own and breed higher quality bred birds rather than hatchery quantity and of less commonly seen breeds in my area. I'm one to believe a lot in culling out bad genetics that to not belong in the breeding pool, and have a family farm locally that takes any birds of mine that do not reach those expectations/standards to pass their genes on and use them for eggs and/or processing so they are not simply being put to waste.

I am super excited to be joining the BYC community and extremely excited to see what else I can learn from everybody. ❤️
Welcome to BYC!!

Back
Top Bottom