Introduction to existing flock

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by EiGuy, Jul 17, 2010.

1. EiGuy

EiGuy New Egg

Jul 11, 2010
    I have a flock of 8 old hens, and 6 new ones (7 weeks old). I recently cross-fenced the run and put a little doghouse in to serve as a coop for the youngsters, with the idea that they would introduce themselves through the wire for a while. My daughter wonders why I don't take one of the old hens and put her in with the babies? Rather than putting the babies in with the old ones. Any thoughts?

2. JLS

JLS Love my feathered babies!

May 29, 2009
    Maine
    My Coop
    I am going to be facing the same situation soon. A freind of mine, who has owned chickens for many years, told me how she introduces the new chicks w/ the existing flock:

She raises them in the coop - seperated by wire - so that everyone gets used to each other. After quite a few weeks when the chicks are big enough, she will lock the older birds outside the coop (just before dusk). Then she lets the youngsters into the coop to find a roosting spot. Then she lets the older ones back in so they can roost.

She said that she's never had a problem with this approach. I already have my little ones in the coop (seperated by wire) for a few weeks now. But I think they're too small still to hold their own (6 weeks old). I will keep them seperate for quite a few weeks still. I hope it will work well. [​IMG]

3. chicksbestfriend

chicksbestfriend Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Quote:This is good I advice, I do the same thing and works like a charm. The only difference in the actual introduction with my flock, I place the new girls up on the roosts with the big gals after they have fallen asleep.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by