Introduction

shikauhr

In the Brooder
Aug 4, 2018
San Jacinto, CA
My name is Thumper (and yes, that is my real name, one of my two middle names to be exact). My wife and I are wanting to raise chickens for both eggs and meat (eggs first and when they no longer are productive, then meat). I grew up on a farm and raised chickens when I was younger, now that it is 40 years later, I am wanting to get back into it again.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? - Not really new, it has just been awhile since I raised chickens.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now? - Currently we don't have chickens. We are still trying to buy the land for our home, and we are currently staying with my wife's parents while waiting to do this.

(3) What breeds do you have? - none yet, but was thinking the Australorpr, Delaware, hybrid and Rhode Island Reds would be good chickens to start with and the Rhode Island Reds should make great brooders for later one (I think).

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com? - I was searching for egg laying chickens via Google Search when I came across this website. Looked promising, so started looking around more.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? - I read a lot, garden, raise worms, a master composter, cook (it relaxes me), and I like to study alot.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share. -- I currently have two girls (dogs, both are half labrador, but one is half chow and the other is half australianshepherd). They are sweet and think they are our kids, and are spoiled relentlessly. The shepherd used to have a flock that she would watch over but we had to get rid of that flock when we lost the house we had in Utah. She really misses her chickens and our black cat that was her best bud.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D -- See number 4 above. Wanting to learn more about chickens, et al; planning on expanding further as we progress, but as the saying goes, 'one step at a time.'

Have a great day and keep those chickens happy.

Thumper

My name is Thumper (and yes, that is my real name, one of my two middle names to be exact). My wife and I are wanting to raise chickens for both eggs and meat (eggs first and when they no longer are productive, then meat). I grew up on a farm and raised chickens when I was younger, now that it is 40 years later, I am wanting to get back into it again.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? - Not really new, it has just been awhile since I raised chickens.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now? - Currently we don't have chickens. We are still trying to buy the land for our home, and we are currently staying with my wife's parents while waiting to do this.

(3) What breeds do you have? - none yet, but was thinking the Australorpr, Delaware, hybrid and Rhode Island Reds would be good chickens to start with and the Rhode Island Reds should make great brooders for later one (I think).

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com? - I was searching for egg laying chickens via Google Search when I came across this website. Looked promising, so started looking around more.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? - I read a lot, garden, raise worms, a master composter, cook (it relaxes me), and I like to study alot.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share. -- I currently have two girls (dogs, both are half labrador, but one is half chow and the other is half australianshepherd). They are sweet and think they are our kids, and are spoiled relentlessly. The shepherd used to have a flock that she would watch over but we had to get rid of that flock when we lost the house we had in Utah. She really misses her chickens and our black cat that was her best bud.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D -- See number 4 above. Wanting to learn more about chickens, et al; planning on expanding further as we progress, but as the saying goes, 'one step at a time.'

Have a great day and keep those chickens happy.

Thumper
awesome clear.gif farmer connie 150.gif

Back
Top Bottom